Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • How did you learn to program?

Zompies

I started when I was 12 by writing very basic code for my Runescape private server. Simple things like adding new objects into the game and creating "custom" areas for people to fight bosses and things.

I progressed from that into creating mods for Minecraft when I was about 15, as well as administrating my own server. Administrating that server taught me a lot of valuable things about Linux systems.

After that, I started at university doing Computer Science and am currently in the end of my third year. I've learned a ton from the program I'm in and couldn't be happier with it.

Personally, I recommend books and interactive learning websites such as Codeacademy. If you really want to know how to program, you need to know how computers work from the ground up (in my opinion). The more you know about how memory and processors work, the better your code will be and the more sense everything will make. This is especially important for lower level languages such as C.

I highly recommend every aspiring programmer picks up a book on Data Structures & Algorithms. I took a course for it but the book we used was "Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in Java" by Weiss.

Another great book to pick up would be a book on systems. The book I had for this is "Introduction to Computing Systems" By Patt and Patel.

That's almost exactly how I got started. My first decent RSPS got popular enough to the point where I had to force myself to learn more than just bug fixes lol and I was also 12 at the time. 

Moved on to various Java programs/games throughout my teens and then jumped to Android/iOS apps when I turned 18 on a whim from a gig I found on craigslist. Didn't know anything about them it at the time but I knew java and had a Galaxy s2 and an iPod touch to test with. Now I find myself taking day jobs doing things I don't know just to learn them while I pay the bills. Took a full stack web development job about a year ago just to learn more PHP and enough Angular to build some cool shit. 

Still doing mobile development (I own a company based around an app) and working full time doing web dev as a day job which is getting pretty boring now that I know it well enough. Who knows what's next lol.

My recommendation to anyone trying to get into this field is only do it if it fascinates you. There are tons of roadblocks when writing software, tons of things that can go wrong, and tons of things that can make you want to rip your hair out of your skull. If you don't love it, those situations will hit you even harder. 

If it does interest you, start by just building things. It doesn't matter what it is, just think of something simple that you wish you had and build it. Make lots of mistakes and you'll learn along the way. 

• 2 months later...

There are many ways to learn "how to program". The best ways are to either learn it through passion or through a university. I have self-educated myself in programming since high school and am now in college taking classes on programming, which has opened a gateway for me to learn multiple other languages and several programming concepts, ideas, and fundamentals.

All I can say is, do not force yourself to program. I've been a member of other botting communites in the past (I have joined Dreambot to create an offshore skilling/moneymaking account) -- I can say for a fact those who force (i.e. saying they want to code and make scripts and fail utterly due to the lack of knowledge / the lack of wanting to obtain knowledge) -- will fail and not be successful in whatever they want to do.

tl;dr - program if you are passionate, curious, or interested in it. don't do it because you 'want to make money' off some botting forum, or some other dumb reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I got into programming when I was about 12 years old. I was a typical nerd that prefered to sit inside behind his computer instead of playing outside. 

The first real language I picked up was PHP. I would write these simple login panels and I think I may still have a website stored on an old hard drive I wrote more than a decade ago :P

I got introduced to botting at the same time (Ibot neXus, RSBot) and I always looked up to the people that could write scripts (called contributors back then), how fucking cool was that?

I wrote my first script for the botting client RSBuddy (now OSBuddy). It was a swamp tar looter. The second script I wrote was a chaos druid killer.

The transition was not too hard for me because PHP and Java have a good chunck of similarities. 

I then got into Runescape private servers that introduced me to basic networking and object orientation (however, at this time most of the sources available would not do a very good job at this).

When I turned 18 I decided to go to university for computer science. That's when I really started getting exposed to concepts that really improved my algorithmic thinking, and in turn, my programming ethics. 

I got my master degree this year and recently got a job as a python web developer. Can't say that I ever grew tired of learning  :P

books. school. @Articron,

mainly just messing around with code to see what it does and what happens when i change things, then moved onto looking into books for more theory about it to understand it more, then school/college, then finally i gave arti some top and he taught me some stuffs

Google, youtube tutorials, looking into other people's codes... directly asking anyone who codes (A much bigger amount of people than you actually think will be happy to help you around programming)...

• 4 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Archived