Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Using Nodes In Your Script - DreamBot Scripting Tutorial

GoldenGates

In scripting throughout many clients, Nodes have been a popular framework to organize and run scripts. Though this isn't the most efficient way, it's certainly quite simple for beginners to start with as I did many years ago. I decided to quickly write this tutorial on how to setup your Node framework and get scripting. :)

Please excuse the lousy formatting, just didn't have that much time. :P

1. Create your Node class for your framework, now this may seem a bit confusing, but don't fret, you'll understand why this is here. I'll go through this line by line:

//Your import of AbstractScript
    import org.dreambot.api.script.AbstractScript; 

//Class must be abstract
    public abstract class Node { 
            //Your global AbstractScript, this comes from the import
    	protected AbstractScript aS;  

//Your Constructor, this 'connects' your Node in your script to AbstractClass since you cannot access it directly (eg. importing) from your Node
    	public Node(AbstractScript aS) { 
                    //Set the local aS to the global aS since this is what you'll be using in    your Node
    		this.aS = aS;
    	}

//An abstract method, doesn't need to be initiated with curly braces or anything
    	public abstract boolean activate() throws InterruptedException;

//An abstract method, doesn't need to be initiated with curly braces or anything
    	public abstract void execute() throws InterruptedException;
    }

I don't expect you to grasp this yet if you're still new but for the time being, you'll figure it out some day when the light shines upon you.

2. Creating your Node class for your script, this is where the magic happens:

//Again, your import
    import org.dreambot.api.script.AbstractScript;

//Your class where you do what you want, in this case banking; must extend Node!!!
    public class Banking extends Node {

//This will default be here, just don't touch this 
    	public Banking(AbstractScript aS) {
    		super(aS);
    	}

//This is here by default as well, this is where you run your check to see if the Node should activate/run
    	@Override
    	public boolean activate() throws InterruptedException {
                    //This will return true if based on the following conditions, basically like your if statement for running methods
    		return aS.getInventory().getEmptySlots() != 28
    				|| aS.getInventory().getEmptySlots() == 28
    				&& aS.getBank().isOpen();
    	}
            //Default method, this is what will happen if the activate() method returns true
    	@Override
    	public void execute() throws InterruptedException {
                    //If bank is open
    		if (aS.getBank().isOpen()) {
                            //If Inventory has at least 1 item in it
    			if (aS.getInventory().getEmptySlots() != 28) {
                                    //Deposit everything
    				aS.getBank().depositAll();
                                    //Sleep till inventory is empty or until 1000ms passed
    				MethodProvider.sleepUntil(new Condition() {
    					public boolean verify() {
    						return aS.getInventory().isEmpty();
    					}
    				}, 1000);
                                    //Close the bank
    				aS.getBank().close();
                                    //Sleep till bank is closed or 750ms passed
    						return !aS.getBank().isOpen();
    					}
    				}, 750);
    			}
    		} else {
                            //If bank isn't open, then interact with Banker
    			aS.getNpcs().getClosest("Banker").interact("Bank");
                            //Sleep till bank is open or 1000ms passed
    					return aS.getBank().isOpen();
    				}
    			}, 1000);
    		}
    	}
    }

This is a very basic example, and by no means complete, just a very vague example of what you'll be doing in nodes. 

So if the inventory contains an item in it OR if the inventory is empty and the bank is still open, then run the Banking node.

The rest is explained in the execute() method.

3. Now we have to put it in our onLoop() method in our main class since that's what the script runs:

//Create a Node Array to put all your nodes in, must reference 'this' as a parameter since 'this' is referring to AbstractScript (class should extend AbstractScript)
    private final Node[] array = new Node[] { new Banking(this) };

@Override
    	public int onLoop() throws InterruptedException {
    		//Goes through all the Nodes, checks if activate() is true, then runs it, simple. 
    		for (final Node node : array)
    			if (node.activate())
    				node.execute();
    		return Calculations.random(250, 500);
    	}

The modifiers aren't really important, but what the variable is, is important. It's all been explained in the code. So now when you run the script, the onLoop() will run, then cycle through your list of Nodes, in our case Banking, see if node.activate() returns true, and if it does, it'll run the execute() method we wrote earlier. :D If it was false, it would continue on the next one and so on. 

Note: You should have at least 1 Node returning true at all times unless you are idling on purpose, which even then should have it's own Node since it gives/shows you full control of the script at all times. This is also very easy to fix bugs on as it's organized and neat and makes scripting that less painful. :)

Thanks for reading this long and unnecessary guide, I put quite a bit of time into it and I'm just plain tired now so please give it a + rep and I'll really appreciate that. (Wrote this all in 1 go lol)

If you have any tips/corrections you wish to improve on this guide, please post and I'll get back to you.

Also don't hesitate to ask questions, me and other scripters would probably be more than willing to help! <3

Any suggestions on what script could made using a node system? like a fletcher or what? and etc?

Any suggestions on what script could made using a node system? like a fletcher or what? and etc?

Literally anything, almost all my scripts are node based. Well there may be a few things you can't but I can't think of any right now.

And thanks guys. + rep it too. :D

Nice tutorial, nodes are cool. They're definitely a more object-oriented way of scripting. Maybe some day I will stop using states. Hehe. ;)

Nice tutorial, nodes are cool. They're definitely a more object-oriented way of scripting. Maybe some day I will stop using states. Hehe. ;)

Damnit Eliot, y u still use states .-. I told u many teims.

Archived