Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • how to not get caught/banned using scripts

uptownprimate

was just banned for 2 days by Jagex - apparently they detected that i was using a bot

wondering if you all have established best practices for not getting banned?

i left a high alch script running overnight (like 6 hrs) and woke up to the ban, so i'm imagining that one of the best practices would be only running scripts for a realistic ammount of playtime. unless that's not it...

Running your scripts for 6+ hours is totally fine if they're written well, especially if it's just high alch. My guess would be bad proxies, flagged account source, or overused/low quality scripts. Could also be something else you've done previously on that account. 

• 2 months later...

"i left a high alch script running overnight (like 6 hrs)"

Jagex tracks your playtime, and considering Overnight playing to be suspsiscious, as thats how people used to bot heavily, bot at night, computer off during work during daytime.  So just by botting overnight alone was a flag, then you didn't use any breaks, you should have used breaks, then you were High-Alching, which is extremely repetitive, and the script would have needed some serious human-emulation in the script to make some random actions to make it human-like for running that long.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:10 PM, z10n said:

"i left a high alch script running overnight (like 6 hrs)"

Jagex tracks your playtime, and considering Overnight playing to be suspsiscious, as thats how people used to bot heavily, bot at night, computer off during work during daytime.  So just by botting overnight alone was a flag, then you didn't use any breaks, you should have used breaks, then you were High-Alching, which is extremely repetitive, and the script would have needed some serious human-emulation in the script to make some random actions to make it human-like for running that long.

So Jagex's banning system tracks time zones based on what? IP address? Then considering that some people just happen to play on proxies, which isn't a violation of Jagex's rules. Why would they even consider tying these factors to an initial ban? 

Sources please?

Furthermore, the OP simply stated he left a script running for six hours overnight. Breaks are more than often incorporated into the script and additionally, the client. Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for additional data before preaching to the OP about better botting practices? Considering the data at hand is menial at best. 

You seem pretty confident though. 

Edited by GingerBread
    Omitted

21 hours ago, GingerBread said:

So Jagex's banning system tracks time zones based on what? IP address? Then considering that some people just happen to play on proxies, which isn't a violation of Jagex's rules. Why would they even consider tying these factors to an initial ban? 

Sources please?

Furthermore, the OP simply stated he left a script running for six hours overnight. Breaks are more than often incorporated into the script and additionally, the client. Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for additional data before preaching to the OP about better botting practices? Considering the data at hand is menial at best. 

You seem pretty confident though. 

No one knows what flags Jagex's systems and you never will unless a whistleblower comes out.

But what you should know is that Jagex doesn't just ban you straight away if you're doing something suspicious.. The suspicious actions pile up to a point where it either reaches the team and they vet you or you get insta-permed if its through the roof.

Datacenter Proxies are known to be one of the flags because normal players tend not to use them. also most botters that use proxies often go with Datacenter proxies, therefore when Jagex detects that you're using one... you'll be raising one of the flags. also when 1 bot is caught with a Datacenter IP, wave your arm to the other proxies that are in the same subnet of the first ip. so like consider the subnet like this:

if the first one gets banned, the second one is likely to be banned as well (if it's Datacenter of course, which is easy to know (through the ISP details)).

A lot of things matter in Botting.. and one of the biggest things is of course the quality of the script. A lot of scripters wave the "Anti-ban" feature which is just a marketing play. Good scripts would incorporate real-player actions like "Far-clicking bank or moving the mouse outside the screen every now and then (to simulate click something outside the screen) or 5 minute idle break) into the script's actions code instead of a "anti-ban system".

Another big thing is the Garbage Collector... since Dreambot scripts are run on the same JVM as the Client, changes in the Garbage Collector frequency will prompt flags. So a scripter must keep that in mind and try to make his or her's script lighter and try to not throw objects everywhere and to not take the "nullifying an object" lightly.

Honourable mentions: Mouse Pattern, Mouse Injection, Repetitive Readable-Pattern Movements, Robot-like movements (Camera, Mouse, etc...), Keyboard Events Execution.

There are tons of ways to make Botting more viable which I discussed in a thread I made a year back I think but I will make an updated one for sure.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:30 PM, Defiled said:

No one knows what flags Jagex's systems and you never will unless a whistleblower comes out.

But what you should know is that Jagex doesn't just ban you straight away if you're doing something suspicious.. The suspicious actions pile up to a point where it either reaches the team and they vet you or you get insta-permed if its through the roof.

Datacenter Proxies are known to be one of the flags because normal players tend not to use them. also most botters that use proxies often go with Datacenter proxies, therefore when Jagex detects that you're using one... you'll be raising one of the flags. also when 1 bot is caught with a Datacenter IP, wave your arm to the other proxies that are in the same subnet of the first ip. so like consider the subnet like this:

if the first one gets banned, the second one is likely to be banned as well (if it's Datacenter of course, which is easy to know (through the ISP details)).

A lot of things matter in Botting.. and one of the biggest things is of course the quality of the script. A lot of scripters wave the "Anti-ban" feature which is just a marketing play. Good scripts would incorporate real-player actions like "Far-clicking bank or moving the mouse outside the screen every now and then (to simulate click something outside the screen) or 5 minute idle break) into the script's actions code instead of a "anti-ban system".

Another big thing is the Garbage Collector... since Dreambot scripts are run on the same JVM as the Client, changes in the Garbage Collector frequency will prompt flags. So a scripter must keep that in mind and try to make his or her's script lighter and try to not throw objects everywhere and to not take the "nullifying an object" lightly.

Honourable mentions: Mouse Pattern, Mouse Injection, Repetitive Readable-Pattern Movements, Robot-like movements (Camera, Mouse, etc...), Keyboard Events Execution.

There are tons of ways to make Botting more viable which I discussed in a thread I made a year back I think but I will make an updated one for sure.

Used to have a friend who's dad worked for Jagex and his son (my friend) was a mod for obvious reasons. Nothing a few beers couldn't get out of them. Of course this was years ago, but at the time, it was a three step process as I'm sure most people know. Flagged, monitored, banned. Not getting flagged is easy, basic anti-ban, reasonable breaks.  

If they're monitoring the account, the jig is already up and they're just gathering data prior to banning. Despite what most people think, Jagex relies mostly on players reporting. But as I said, my information is years old from two blitzed fellow's, who knows anymore. Although years later, I've never been banned. Cheers' :)

Edited by GingerBread
    Incomplete entry

2 hours ago, GingerBread said:

Used to have a friend who's dad worked for Jagex and his son (my friend) was a mod for obvious reasons. Nothing a few beers couldn't get out of them. Of course this was years ago, but at the time, it was a three step process as I'm sure most people know. Flagged, monitored, banned. Not getting flagged is easy, basic anti-ban, reasonable breaks.  

If they're monitoring the account, the jig is already up and they're just gathering data prior to banning. Despite what most people think, Jagex relies mostly on players reporting. But as I said, my information is years old from two blitzed fellow's, who knows anymore. Although years later, I've never been banned. Cheers' :)

You don't need to be a mod to know that, this process is pretty much in every game even shooters and even years back :)

Not getting flagged is not easy. I believe 90% of accounts created for the purpose of Botting are flagged once they log onto tutorial island. You will be 100% flagged but I think Jagex has a threshold which if the player crosses, they either ban him automatically if the evidence is overwhelming to their automation or send to their "ICU" team to vet the player.

and no Jagex doesn't rely mostly on players reporting that'll be EXTREMELY stupid and foolish as that will basically give users the power over other users. They rely on heuristics published by their automation to measure if the player is indeed a human or not. It can be simple stuff like Mouse Events to comparing current player Action Patterns to real players patterns.

5 hours ago, Defiled said:

You don't need to be a mod to know that, this process is pretty much in every game even shooters and even years back :)

Not getting flagged is not easy. I believe 90% of accounts created for the purpose of Botting are flagged once they log onto tutorial island. You will be 100% flagged but I think Jagex has a threshold which if the player crosses, they either ban him automatically if the evidence is overwhelming to their automation or send to their "ICU" team to vet the player.

and no Jagex doesn't rely mostly on players reporting that'll be EXTREMELY stupid and foolish as that will basically give users the power over other users. They rely on heuristics published by their automation to measure if the player is indeed a human or not. It can be simple stuff like Mouse Events to comparing current player Action Patterns to real players patterns.

As I said "Most people know". IMO people can choose to believe what they want about Jagex's system, they're likely just as wrong as the next guy. My OP was to emphasize that flagging people based on time zone and time of day is not very critical thinking, doesn't even make sense. To each their own though. 😮 

So if you're saying that a repetitive movement 5,000 times will throw off a flag, then we are basically just saying the same thing in different words. That would be a flag that would lead to monitoring. There is also a bot detector on runelite that has 50k downloads which autoflags, so players are obviously a tool as well. 

In 2006 I was told it was mostly on players to report, so I'm willing to believe that has obviously changed, we don't use flip phones anymore either. We can agree, to agree. :)

Edited by GingerBread
    typo

Simply read jagex's privacy policy. They have the legal right to get your computers hardware specs, including MAC address which is a unique address to your specific device. Unless you are changing this either with a high end proxy (each proxy will have its own unique MAC address or manually changing it within CMD, jagex will know its the same device. If this device's MAC address is already flagged, its pretty easy to be banned even with changing IP/proxy IP). The timezone DOES matter. They have lots of data on the average players playtime vs specific timezone. If you are constantly playing at irregular times than the average player, its a flag (not a big one, as people do shift work, but a small flag nonetheless).
    If you are botting just a single account. Just reset your IP/MAC address in CMD, takes like 30seconds and it'll keep it a safe residential one that has less chance of being banned.

Like Defiled mentioned, the ISP/proxy server address may already be flagged which is a pretty easy way to catch other accounts. Thankfully Brazil has a location based legal right and Jagex abides by it (just read the privacy policy). IMO spoofing Brazil has resulted in less bans than most countries.

Jagex is also able to read the time of your computer, meaning that if you're spoofing a timezone that your computers time isn't set to, they can detect you're not actually there, even if its a residential proxy. I know this as until I modified my computers time to the same as the VPN location, I wasn't able to create an account on their website (for a few proxy IP's, not all).

They aren't doing anything that they don't claim in their privacy policy or they face being sued, and tbh they give away lots of information on how to avoid being detected within it too.

Once you have beaten all of their hardware / software checks, it really just comes down to how long you bot for / the quality of the script, like many have said above.