Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Switch statement and enums

hibernati0n

I'm very new to Java and so far I have been able to make the scripts for the things I want without a problem but I've noticed people saying that enums and switch statements make your scripts overall better if you implement them when appropriate. I've learnt a little bit about switch statements and enums and I thought I had a decent idea but I've never implemented them into any of my scripts because I don't know when I should or even what would be an efficient way to do so.

I was hoping maybe someone could explain exactly why they are good in their opinion and maybe give an example as to how or why it would be good to implement one in a certain situation? My idea is they are more useful than if/elseif/else block statements because they allow greater flexibility and I think I'm starting to see that now as I try make more advanced scripts that if one chain of the block fails the whole script fails instead of repeating that chain so hopefully someone can explain it in a way that maybe I'll better understand it compared to how it has been explained to me before and I haven't really understood.

It doesn't really make a difference, it's cleaner to look at sure, but functionally it's no different than a bunch of if's.

Oh okay, I thought it had an impact thanks :)

This is the basis of every one of my scripts. Makes the script look way cleaner and more readable for debugging later.

Erm, to be honest there is a huge difference between Enums and Switch/Case statements if you'd ask me.

Enums are constants and do not change when the script is in use. Switch/Case statements is just some sort of looping tool which is very useful when you want the script to pick a certain action with a certain input. You can't compare these two in my opinion.

Overall, the above answers will provide you the information you were seeking for.

Example:

Use enums for constants, such as runes and level needed for a spell:

public enum Spells{
       AIR_STRIKE("Mind rune", "Air rune", 1);

private String[] runeNames;
       private int levelRequired;

private Spells(String... runeNames, levelRequired){
       this.runeNames = runeNames;
       this.levelRequired = levelRequired;
       }

//To grab the rune names for example, use a getter:
    public String[] getRunesForSpell(){
       return runeNames;
       }
    }

For a switch/case statement, you'd use it in a scenario like this:

//For example you want to print something for when a car switches it's gear, but don't want to use a big nested if-statement
    //In this example a nested if-statement wouldn't be too bad, but imagine this when a car has 100 gears or something.

int i = getCarGear(); //Imagine getCarGear() is a method that grabs the car's gear.

public void executeSwitchCase(){ //You'll need to call this as a method if it's outside a loop.
    switch(int i){
    case 1: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 1 is 20 km/h.");
       break;
    case 2: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 2 is 40 km/h.");
       break;
    case 3: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 3 is 60 km/h.");
       break;
    case 4: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 4 is 80 km/h.");
       break;
    case 5: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 5 is 100 km/h.");
       break;
    case 6: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 6 is 120 km/h.");
       break;
    default:
       break;
       }
    }

I hope this clears things up!

For a switch/case statement, you'd use it in a scenario like this:

//For example you want to print something for when a car switches it's gear, but don't want to use a big nested if-statement
    //In this example a nested if-statement wouldn't be too bad, but imagine this when a car has 100 gears or something.

int i = getCarGear(); //Imagine getCarGear() is a method that grabs the car's gear.

public void executeSwitchCase(){ //You'll need to call this as a method if it's outside a loop.
    switch(int i){
    case 1: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 1 is 20 km/h.");
       break;
    case 2: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 2 is 40 km/h.");
       break;
    case 3: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 3 is 60 km/h.");
       break;
    case 4: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 4 is 80 km/h.");
       break;
    case 5: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 5 is 100 km/h.");
       break;
    case 6: 
       System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear 6 is 120 km/h.");
       break;
    default:
       break;
       }
    }

public void executeSwitchCase(){
        System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear " + i + " is " + i*20 + " km/h.");
    }

I optimized it for you. No need to thank me fam. ;)

public void executeSwitchCase(){
        System.Out.Println("The maximum speed in gear " + i + " is " + i*20 + " km/h.");
    }

I optimized it for you. No need to thank me fam. ;)

You're missing the point. I was explaining the usefulness of the switch case statement. I mean.. The speed indicator could be anything and not have a linear increasement, for example gear 1 max = 45, gear 2 max = 77, gear 3 max = 123 and whatnot. Don't you think i am using switch cases to print this stuff :kappa:

Also note the "//In this example a nested if-statement wouldn't be too bad, but imagine this when a car has 100 gears or something."

Archived