Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Free Script Should came with source code

Should Free Script be Open-Source?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should Free Script be Open-Source and came with the source code?

• Yes, It can maintain good script alive.
      • No, because someone could make money on that.

Hey, I was checking some really nice code here but I notice that somes need a bit of love since 2016. Yikes.

I was thinking about the fact that also these script could be better with other location for farming.

What y'all think about that?

Silly post.

It's essentially plagiarism what you're saying.

If the script is good or not, it's someone's.  & only that person decides if they want the code in public, or private.  Don't really see a point to this thread.

There are free source codes available, if you need something pre-existing to work on/update, but for the most part, "Code it yourself then. EZ P Z :)"

Edited by oh_my_goth

On 5/6/2023 at 5:30 PM, paxosa3296 said:

Hey, I was checking some really nice code here but I notice that somes need a bit of love since 2016. Yikes.

I was thinking about the fact that also these script could be better with other location for farming.

What y'all think about that?

the idea is a good idea however, this is considered taking someone else's work, what you could do is go to the original scripter and ask if they are willing give the code to someone who will work on it, however its not dreambots place to just give away free script's source code and this is something that should be respected...

maybe if dreambot allows an optional (defaulted off) checkbox for free scripts where if there has not been any updates in a period of time then the script goes to the open source for scripters only. that way the work can live on down the line

the idea is a good idea however, this is considered taking someone else's work, what you could do is go to the original scripter and ask if they are willing give the code to someone who will work on it, however its not dreambots place to just give away free script's source code and this is something that should be respected...

maybe if dreambot allows an optional (defaulted off) checkbox for free scripts where if there has not been any updates in a period of time then the script goes to the open source for scripters only. that way the work can live on down the line

Yeah but, look github, that make just project stay alive. And mainly, it was the goal of the internet. Sharing infomation and data.

Disagree - free scipts should not come with the source code. This would too easily allow someone to steal someone else's code, modify it slightly and then put it up for sale. Granted the ability for them to make money off it is subjective to the consumer of said code, but either way no. Additionally, some scripters may release a free version of their script for use via an open beta to enhance the script through bug reporting etc. Again, giving the source code would allow someone to steal what would otherwise be a paid product. 

However, it can be argued that the source code should be made available from a security standpoint to verify scripters are not putting anything malicious into the code, such as keyloggers, scripts to make the bot trade over account wealth after X time of inactivity, or running a crypto miner while the script runs. These types of items, I would anticipate these items are reviewed prior to being released on Dreambot's SDN to prevent Dreambot's reputation from being tarnished. 

On 5/15/2023 at 12:05 AM, paxosa3296 said:

Yeah but, look github, that make just project stay alive. And mainly, it was the goal of the internet. Sharing infomation and data.

yes however this is not information, this is a product, think about games on steam. you can have the game but you cant have the source of the game. just like how we can have the script but we cant have the source code of the script.

7 hours ago, rsxpbot said:

Disagree - free scipts should not come with the source code. This would too easily allow someone to steal someone else's code, modify it slightly and then put it up for sale. Granted the ability for them to make money off it is subjective to the consumer of said code, but either way no. Additionally, some scripters may release a free version of their script for use via an open beta to enhance the script through bug reporting etc. Again, giving the source code would allow someone to steal what would otherwise be a paid product. 

However, it can be argued that the source code should be made available from a security standpoint to verify scripters are not putting anything malicious into the code, such as keyloggers, scripts to make the bot trade over account wealth after X time of inactivity, or running a crypto miner while the script runs. These types of items, I would anticipate these items are reviewed prior to being released on Dreambot's SDN to prevent Dreambot's reputation from being tarnished. 

thats already a thing, when you submit the code, dreambot has someone review the script to make sure there is nothing bad on it. i think the role is SDN manager