Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • A quick question from a total noob

helo35

would it be possible to fully script a reliable ranged bot, that savespots not only one type of NPC? I was wondering if you could make it savespot ranged NPCs aswell. Since i can't find any script that would do that, i wanted to ask if it is just impossible to do or not very reliable.
    Thanks in advance!

Well, after looking into some open source projects from other ppl in this forum, I'm really discuraged to get into Java... guess i'll stick to python and get at least some (more) basic understanding of all this. Maybe in the next couple of years I'll be looking back and think to myself. "holy fuk, this shits easy to do." 

2 hours ago, helo35 said:

Well, after looking into some open source projects from other ppl in this forum, I'm really discuraged to get into Java... guess i'll stick to python and get at least some (more) basic understanding of all this. Maybe in the next couple of years I'll be looking back and think to myself. "holy fuk, this shits easy to do." 

I wouldn't give up! Once you understand the logic of java you can easily also do C# and javascript too, so definitely worth learning! When I was younger I used to practice on: https://codingbat.com/java all the time. They have mini tests you can work on from simple to semi more advanced ideas and are great little brain workouts. I suggest starting there, and doing some, then just try to make something simple first. Make a cow killer, then add banking, tanning, possibly add some other f2p skills like fishing, woodcutting, mining (they're all pretty much same!). Start small and work your way up, before you know it you'll be making something a lot more advanced. When in doubt, you have the community here to help push you in the right direction + the javadocs are insanely useful.

Thanks for encourageing, i certainly will look into this link you gave...

Any tipps on effectively useing the docs? Guess i have to research a bit to effectively read the stuff in there, i always get lost and nothing works LOL

5 hours ago, helo35 said:

Any tipps on effectively useing the docs? Guess i have to research a bit to effectively read the stuff in there, i always get lost and nothing works LOL

There’s a super handy search bar in it, which saves you from having to guess where things are, and they did a great job with the naming conventions.

Banking = Bank, Movement = Walk,

Inventory = Inventory, Equipment = Equipment, etc lol.

All local player objects are under the MethodProvider (usually best to extend this rather than needing to call it all the time) and is getLocalPlayer()

also within the dreambot client there is the Game Explorer where you’ll be able to see the type of objects on screen: NPC, GameObject, GroundItem, PlayerSetting, Varbits and Widget data. This is super useful so you know what the objects data type is / values changed when performing certain actions.

It’s just trial and error, start off with something small like a cow killer then just keep polishing it until you’ve learned enough to branch off into something more fun and advanced :) just remember, while learning always best to use fresh accounts that you don’t care if they get banned

• 2 weeks later...
    On 12/5/2021 at 6:10 AM, helo35 said:

As someone who is newish to coding. My recommendation is start out super easy and work up from there.

Start with an aching bot which can be written in less then 2 minutes if you know what your doing. If not, realistically if you're new to coding about an hour after searching how to do everything. After that rewrite it and take out as much useless code as you can, there will be a lot when your learning. Then rewrite it again with variables so you can easily change the spell / item.

Then move on to another bank standing skill, review / rewrite a few times. Then maybe add GE restocking support.

Don't necessarily bot these scripts unattended if you haven't babysitted them for at least a few hours first to make sure they won't break.

The whole key with learning isn't making something perfect first try, its about writing a section, testing it, writing another section, testing and so it. Eventually you have a working script that still could be better. Don't be discouraged, no matter who you are, your not going to write everything correctly the first try. 

Archived