Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Script Popularity and Ban Risk in OSRS Botting: A Discussion

Sly Cooper

I've been pondering a question that I believe many in our community might have considered: What is the impact of script popularity on the risk of getting banned in OSRS?

On one hand, using a script that is widely popular and utilized by many could mean that it's well-tested and potentially safer due to continuous updates and community feedback. The logic here is that a script with a large user base might be more refined, thus reducing the chance of detection.

However, there's another angle to consider. Could using a script that's popular also mean higher visibility and a greater chance of being flagged by the game's anti-cheat systems? It's possible that unique or less commonly used scripts might fly under the radar more easily, as they are not as recognized by pattern-detection algorithms.

Here are some specific points I'm curious about:

Detection Algorithms: How do they work in OSRS, and do they target commonly used scripts more aggressively?
    Community Experience: Has anyone noticed a correlation between the popularity of a script and the frequency of bans?
    Developer Insights: For those who develop these scripts, what are your thoughts on balancing script effectiveness with detection avoidance?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, experiences, and any advice you might have on this topic. The goal here is to better understand the risks involved and make more informed decisions when choosing scripts for botting in OSRS.

Popular scripts might attract more attention from the game's anti-cheat systems. It's plausible that unique or less commonly used scripts might evade detection more easily, simply because they don't fit the common patterns that such systems are trained to recognize.

Edited by asdsadsadasd

3 minutes ago, asdsadsadasd said:

Popular scripts might attract more attention from the game's anti-cheat systems. It's plausible that unique or less commonly used scripts might evade detection more easily, simply because they don't fit the common patterns that such systems are trained to recognize.

You've made an important point about the dynamics of script detection in OSRS. It's true that the anti-cheat systems are likely designed to recognize patterns that are common among widely used scripts. This pattern recognition is a fundamental aspect of many anti-botting measures, as it allows for more efficient detection of bot-like behaviors which are replicated across numerous accounts.

However, it's also worth noting that while unique or less popular scripts may initially evade detection due to their uncommon patterns, this doesn't inherently make them safer in the long term. These scripts, if not regularly updated and refined, might eventually become detectable as soon as the anti-cheat systems adapt to their patterns.

Moreover, popular scripts often have a dedicated team or community behind them, constantly working to update and adapt the script in response to new anti-cheat measures. This continuous development cycle can sometimes make popular scripts more resilient to detection, as they evolve alongside the game's anti-cheat algorithms.

In essence, the key factor isn't just the popularity of the script but its adaptability and how well it mimics human behavior within the game. A balance between uniqueness and regular updates might be the most effective approach to minimize detection risk.

Of course, it's always important to remember that using bots in games like OSRS is against the game's terms of service and carries the risk of account penalties, including bans.

Edited by Sly Cooper

I dont think they detect as much as you think they do. I botted RS3 to multiple 99s including agility, attack, defence, firemaking, cooking, ect. Whenever i was botting on my main account i was always "Playing" I always kept an eye on it and i was even in a clan that i talked into while my bot did 90% of the work. All with free scrips from EpicBOT. this time around I am doing the same thing but with dreambot and I am monitoring it really closly. Only running the bot when my eyes can see it, leveling up. I bought a questing script but i dont do many quests at once like 2-3 every couple days. Just trying to play it smart. I stopped botting for money and leaving burner accounts up for 8-12 hours because that is how you get accounts banned. 

Edited by fatfukka

13 hours ago, Sly Cooper said:

I've been pondering a question that I believe many in our community might have considered: What is the impact of script popularity on the risk of getting banned in OSRS?

On one hand, using a script that is widely popular and utilized by many could mean that it's well-tested and potentially safer due to continuous updates and community feedback. The logic here is that a script with a large user base might be more refined, thus reducing the chance of detection.

However, there's another angle to consider. Could using a script that's popular also mean higher visibility and a greater chance of being flagged by the game's anti-cheat systems? It's possible that unique or less commonly used scripts might fly under the radar more easily, as they are not as recognized by pattern-detection algorithms.

Here are some specific points I'm curious about:

Detection Algorithms: How do they work in OSRS, and do they target commonly used scripts more aggressively?
    Community Experience: Has anyone noticed a correlation between the popularity of a script and the frequency of bans?
    Developer Insights: For those who develop these scripts, what are your thoughts on balancing script effectiveness with detection avoidance?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, experiences, and any advice you might have on this topic. The goal here is to better understand the risks involved and make more informed decisions when choosing scripts for botting in OSRS.

More accounts using a bot means clearer statistical patterns both at gameplay-choice and micro levels, and results in more bans. I avoid most of this by aiming scripts at players rather than farmers and never selling "unlimited use" so that 1 guy with a server won't run 500 bots on his own. There are many other techniques that can be used to prevent the formation of such patterns.

Edited by Aeglen

Yeah, that's wise.

I agree, as more entities of the script is run - more clearer patter Jagex have. They are smart, so only the one way to bot - is to do it smart.
    Like mr. @fatfukka said. If you bot - you need to take an eye on it. A lot of scenarios when script are stucking or looping.

I had a problem with @SubCZ script (Slayer) it stucked next to GE clicking the crystal, put it into the bank and taking back. Just imagine what would be if that script would do it for a 8h until i sleep or afk... This is all statistic. All right, maybe not much, but I'm sure that if you would do those moves for 8h, for sure Jagex will understand that you are a bot.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

What about botting in high populated areas? I have been using a GOTR script and have been running it on a burner 12 hours out of the day. I feel like you can blend in more.

15 minutes ago, Kraze II said:

What about botting in high populated areas? I have been using a GOTR script and have been running it on a burner 12 hours out of the day. I feel like you can blend in more.

This is exactly why I run my flippers on 302/308.