Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Total beginner - asking for advice in scripting

Z04al3

Hey, I have 0 programming experience. I have only watched a CS50 course of the very basic fundamentals and I understand html basics.
    I loved to play RS 10-15 years ago, and I was fascinated by BOTTING ever since, but I was so stupid that I didn't get into it when I was young.
    Now, I have a bit of time, and I want to learn how to make bots, and I want to get into Scripting in general.

What do you recommend me to learn or to get myself into, so I can get to a good level of bot making in RS/OSRS relatively quickly? 
    What programming languages/frameworks should I learn to be effective? What language is an OSRS bot written in? How much time does it take to get to a strong level of scripting with my experience (~0), and about 4-5 hours of learning a week? (I am going through the tutorials on this website ofc)

I look at this as some form of development, and I view this as project/challenge that I can fulfill for myself, rather than something that I would want to make money with.

Thank you if you answer. Love

I also appreciate if you hit me up on discord or telegram if you feel like chatting with /mentoring a scripting noob. <3
    discord: z04al3
    telegram: @rpnotyou

Edited by Z04al3

There are many tutorials on the forums although many are outdated, the fundamentals stay the same. I found it quite helpful when starting out to look at lots of open source scripts on GitHub, and apply what I saw to things I was working on. Small snippets of code can be applicable to lots of different tasks and then once you understand them more, you can expand. Good luck!

16 minutes ago, MaximusPrimo said:

There are many tutorials on the forums although many are outdated, the fundamentals stay the same. I found it quite helpful when starting out to look at lots of open source scripts on GitHub, and apply what I saw to things I was working on. Small snippets of code can be applicable to lots of different tasks and then once you understand them more, you can expand. Good luck!

Thank you Maximus, would you mind telling me what should I search for on GitHub? :)

And also do you think I only need the knowledge that I can acquire from the tutorials on this site? 

1 hour ago, Z04al3 said:

Thank you Maximus, would you mind telling me what should I search for on GitHub? :)

And also do you think I only need the knowledge that I can acquire from the tutorials on this site? 

https://github.com/Amoz3/Dreambot-script-collection

https://dreambot.org/forums/index.php?/topic/23908-open-source-8-scripts/

This is from camalCase and has some good examples to look at.

Regarding knowledge the tutorials here are very basic. Java knowledge and ways of solving problems go from basic to extremely complex. You can certainly learn enough to automate most tasks yes; but as for the most efficient ways to solve them? No. That comes from years of java knowledge and practical experience.

6 minutes ago, MaximusPrimo said:

https://github.com/Amoz3/Dreambot-script-collection

https://dreambot.org/forums/index.php?/topic/23908-open-source-8-scripts/

This is from camalCase and has some good examples to look at.

Regarding knowledge the tutorials here are very basic. Java knowledge and ways of solving problems go from basic to extremely complex. You can certainly learn enough to automate most tasks yes; but as for the most efficient ways to solve them? No. That comes from years of java knowledge and practical experience.

Thank you so much ❤️

Do you think - if we are not speaking exceptionally about dreambot use cases - java is the best language to use for scripting? 
    I’ve heard that python and, bash especially has the easiest to learn syntax.
    Is for example bash better to use when we are talking about automating work related small tasks? (I.e. Generating reports, organizing assets, generating copies with chat-gpt, etc.) 

I know it’s a bit far from the original topic, but I appreciate if you answer. 

The whole osrs scripting is something that I would use to learn scripting on real projects, which are essentially enjoyable for me, so I can advance in some areas in my professional life.

@Z04al3 there is no "best" language to use for scripting as a whole - it all depends on what you're trying to do. In relation to Java, imo this is one of the easiest programming languages to learn and understand the fundamentals of programming. Once you understand the basics, you can begin to experiment and learn different languages which are used primarily for different things.

Start with this tutorial to learn the fundamentals of Java. Once you understand the concept of giving a computer instructions to perform a task, you can deepen your learning from there.

Also look at the DB guides page - https://dreambot.org/guides/

10 hours ago, Diggington said:

@Z04al3 there is no "best" language to use for scripting as a whole - it all depends on what you're trying to do. In relation to Java, imo this is one of the easiest programming languages to learn and understand the fundamentals of programming. Once you understand the basics, you can begin to experiment and learn different languages which are used primarily for different things.

Start with this tutorial to learn the fundamentals of Java. Once you understand the concept of giving a computer instructions to perform a task, you can deepen your learning from there.

Also look at the DB guides page - https://dreambot.org/guides/

I appreciate your help, and I’ll defo look through all these.

Do you mind if I ask, did you have CS background before starting out with osrs dreambot scripting? :)