Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Combat Bots - Flaw in mouse movement. Bot may easily be detected

chartpk

I mean you can implement your own methods to do everything you're talking about. You can also make your own script or bot client. So why not just do it and stop calling other people wrong.

Didn't read too long, combat scripts also create patterns.

There were bots that sent 0 mouse movements by calling the method in the client that sends interact packets.  They weren't banned.

It's difficult to write an alg to analyse mouse movements.  Also, it's easy to simply change the mouse alg and bypass detection.  Mouse detection is similar to client detection in that way, it's a temporary fix.  They wanted a more lasting system.  Their current system is working fine for the vast majority of bots anyways and doesn't consider mouse path.

Interesting regarding the bots that would send packets only to interact with the game, without using mouse. But i am confident this is detected, and if your account wouldn't get banned, at least it would get flagged. this is VERY simple to detect.

But if you say that mouse patterns (specifically path) are and camera movements are NOT the way used to detect bots, then we could safely say that if you always monitor your bot playing in game and interfere if needed (random,chat) and play for minimal hours per week, then you'd never get banned? Because the only reason you'd get banned in this case, would be by looking at the bot's mouse patterns (interaction, delays, times, reactiontime, speed, movements, path, clicks and random movements after certain interactions) and camera movements.

Or?

To reply to your second paragraph, I have to say that it wouldn't be a hard to write an algorithm to analyze mouse patterns. The more consuming part would be storage of all the data, but that's not a problem for a large company with massive scale. If you take the example I wrote previously about mouse coords, clicks, and entity interactions in game, then you can easily identify a bot using standard dreambot API simply by analyzing this data. The more hours of data you have, the more reliable it is. I'd say after 1 hour of 50ms mouse data (or even simplified 500ms mouse data, you would have 120 log entries per minute, 7200 entry logs of mouse coords for one hour of gameplay) which you'd then analyze by having an algorithm that checks through this data:

Columns for data look simplified like this:

Time | Mouse coords | Interaction | MouseClicked

1) Alg checks for log entry for the first interaction with an NPC

2) Alg finds an interaction "Attack NPC" in time 5 minutes, and mouse clicked.

3) Alg checks if the following mouse log entries are at the SAME position as since clicked Attack.

4) Alg counts for how long mouse stayed in same position, stores the amount in order to calculate an average of this at the end of analyziation

5) ---Alg checks for this pattern through entire mouse coordinates, and calculates the average time mouse is spent idle right after attacking an NPC---

That's how simple it is. The alg returns a rate of suspicion of this user's mouse behaviour, and the user is flagged for further analyzation. Now, further analyzation wouldn't mean you'd get banned, but your account would definitely be inspected further to verify you're a bot or not. Maybe more data will be stored, maybe more data will be analyzed.

But you're saying Jagex doesn't do this?

yes

Then people wouldn't get banned. But they do.  Just take a look here at someone who botted chickens for less than 2 hrs, while watching the entire time: https://dreambot.org/forums/index.php/topic/11583-client-detection/

What makes you so sure that they don't pick up on mouse pattern and camera? Because now, what you're saying is "Go ahead, play like a bot, it's not going to be detected, nor get you banned!"

(PS: you should probably read what I write to get the full context).

The goal anyway is to improve scripts to behave and interact with the game more like humans, and less bot-like. Regardless if we believe it's detected or not.

• 1 month later...

I think Mod Mark throws his McDonalds cheeseburger at a screen with a list of account names and wherever the ketchup lands its a bot. 

Seeing as none of us work for Jagex, I'd say my opinion is as valid as any other speculative opinion out there.

My point being, nobody knows for sure. If you're not botting to eventually get banned, you shouldn't really be botting at all. 

• 10 months later...

Game dev here. First post on the forums but I've seen this all around and it's clearly just the rumors of kids going around and it's kinda driving me bonkers.

No one knows how jagexs bot detection works.

But it's almost certainly not mouse movement. That would be a huge amount of data to send, having a mouse movement map for every vector mouse movement per game tick per player for their millions of players. To the have an ai go through and detect which of those mouse movement sets is a bot, it makes no sense.

Mouse clicks interact with the game. Bot detection is probably based on things like:

"Does he go to tile 3264,5828 every single time he goes to the bank, and then 3230,5700 whenever going back to the trees?"

"Does he always click the same tree?"

"Has he slept in 5 days?"

"Does he interact with 100% of the random events that he comes in contact with?" If so, might be a bot, players miss sometimes.

Personally I'd like to see a get random function in dreamboy, as I feel like getclosest, while a player will usually click the closest tree, could be a giveaway if the player always always clicks the closest tree.

If we want to mimick human behaviour, build error into dreambot. Make dropAll not follow a pattern when dropping, stuff like that. Things based on interaction.

But the chances jagex is tracking your mouse movements is so low I'd bet my house against it. They're almost certainly checking behaviour and interaction. Not only is it unfeasible to send and have an AI look over the mouse movements of every player in one of the most populated MMOs, it's also easier to detect a bot by behavior.

Not to mention, since the game doesn't need to know about mouse movements, it wouldn't be "bot detection", it would be a keylogger, because they're getting data they don't need so they can see what you're up to. It would be a liability if not straight up illegal. In either case not good for business.

Don't waste your time on mouse movements guys.

1 hour ago, DeadmanVlei said:

Game dev here. First post on the forums but I've seen this all around and it's clearly just the rumors of kids going around and it's kinda driving me bonkers.

No one knows how jagexs bot detection works.

But it's almost certainly not mouse movement. That would be a huge amount of data to send, having a mouse movement map for every vector mouse movement per game tick per player for their millions of players. To the have an ai go through and detect which of those mouse movement sets is a bot, it makes no sense.

Mouse clicks interact with the game. Bot detection is probably based on things like:

"Does he go to tile 3264,5828 every single time he goes to the bank, and then 3230,5700 whenever going back to the trees?"

"Does he always click the same tree?"

"Has he slept in 5 days?"

"Does he interact with 100% of the random events that he comes in contact with?" If so, might be a bot, players miss sometimes.

Personally I'd like to see a get random function in dreamboy, as I feel like getclosest, while a player will usually click the closest tree, could be a giveaway if the player always always clicks the closest tree.

If we want to mimick human behaviour, build error into dreambot. Make dropAll not follow a pattern when dropping, stuff like that. Things based on interaction.

But the chances jagex is tracking your mouse movements is so low I'd bet my house against it. They're almost certainly checking behaviour and interaction. Not only is it unfeasible to send and have an AI look over the mouse movements of every player in one of the most populated MMOs, it's also easier to detect a bot by behavior.

Not to mention, since the game doesn't need to know about mouse movements, it wouldn't be "bot detection", it would be a keylogger, because they're getting data they don't need so they can see what you're up to. It would be a liability if not straight up illegal. In either case not good for business.

Don't waste your time on mouse movements guys.

Don't worry, most of the scripters know that. It's easier and more efficient to track clicks.

Archived