Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Add support for holding a key (Like pressShift but for everything)

Scrivus

Hi there,

I was trying to help out @Pistol with a form of antiban he's developing and we came upon the issue of not being able to hold/press a key other than Shift. So I would like to request this function to be added.

getKeyboard.pressKey(char key);
    getKeyboard.pressKey(char key, int duration);

key = key being pressed

duration = the time for the key to be hold (Could be defaulted to a certain amount of MS?)

I don't think this would be a huge change for the API because it would probably just be a modified getKeyboard.pressShift() method.

Thanks in advance,

@Pistol

Just to clarify some things,

Holding down a key is already possible by manually sending KeyEvents (as Hashtag points out here: https://dreambot.org/forums/index.php/topic/7118-getkeyboardtype-instantly/)

Part of the antiban behavior I have in mind is that the client can hold the key in compliance with operating system standards:
    This is particularly useful for going through dialog

I'm a novice when it comes to KeyEvents so if someone with some expertise wants to clarify some things, that would be great.

My understanding of keyboard presses is as follows on Windows specifically:
    1. A KeyPress event occurs as soon as the keyboard key is pushed, to the nearest poll 
    2.  KeyType event occurs arbitrarily close to the KeyPress event
    3.(The operating system waits by KeyboardDelay parameter in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard  (approx 250ms) | see source)
    4. A KeyType event occurs
    5. (The operating system waits by KeyboardSpeed parameter (roughly 33ms)| see source2)

{4 & 5 loop indefinitely until the key is released}
    6. (Anywhere from 0-30ms may have passed since the last KeyType event)
    7. A KeyReleased event occurs as the key is physically 

Some pseudocode could work as follows to simulate holding down a key:

PressKey
    TypeKey
    sleep(random(250*.8,250*1.2) //sleep for the "initial delay" when holding a key before repeated typeKey events take place, note the 20% randomness since the MSDN notes this may not be linear by upwards of 20%
    TypeKey
    do {
    sleep(Random(33.3*.8,33.3*1.2) //we do an average of 30 per second (1000/30) = 33.33..., but the MSDN says delays may fluctuate by 20% in both directions??
    TypeKey
    } while (conditionsToReleaseUnsatisfied) //evaulate if we are ready to "release key", make sure to account for human reaction times as well. We can have another thread evaluating this for time-intensive checks
    sleep(Random(0,33.3*1.2)) //a key release can occur anywhere from 0ms after the most previous TypeKey envents, upwards of a single cpu cycle away from the next TypeKey, so we sleep anywhere from 0ms to the amount of time it would take to get another TypeKey event naturally
    ReleaseKey

I currently have a utility that does the above, but am hesitant to use it for multiple reasons.
    It's generally not a good idea to sway from the API for keyboard events in general, but my fear is that the above approach could be easily patterned out. Is the 20% randomness too obvious? Do some machines skew random in different directions? Does a linear random pattern work well?

It does provide some opportunities to make "unique" profiles for each bot, as each operating system/hardware sends KeyType events with slightly different patterns/skews. I could change the rates and add higher/lower spreads as well as use different distributions for sending repeated KeyType events, but I simply haven't gathered enough data to make an informed decision on if this is a good or bad thing, and how "regular" physical keyboards act across different computers/operating systems

My hope is that I'm nitpicking too much here, but my fear it is that it would be very easy to tell that the keyboard events are not coming from a physical keyboard when simulating holding a key. 

Can anyone with expertise step in? How does the client internally register Keyboard logic? 

Thanks so much everyone  :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, the entire method is of course, multi threaded, to allow us to move the mouse or do whatever processing we need to do while the key is being held.
    Edit2: Also, is there some way to signal to the OS to step in here and send key events as if a key were physically being held, to avoid detection from manually sending events straight from our script?

Edit3: An even more elegant way to do things would be to loop KeyType events in a seperate thread, and immediately terminate the thread once stopping conditions + human reaction has been accounted for, and send out a KeyRelease event. 
    So Thread1 would start Thread2 to press and repeatedly type the keys as above. Thread 1 then constantly checks if conditions to release are met, waits for a human-like reaction time, terminates Thread2, and sends a KeyRelease event. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived