Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Widget call returns null even if it isn't null!

Cardozz

Hi there,

I got a weird error: my method calls for a widget, and i am 1000000% sure it is NOT null, still it returns null (i checked it by debugging the code with logs).

Heres the code:

WidgetChild someWidget = getWidgets().getWidgetChild(84, 26);

if(someWidget != null){
    	// some code
    } else log("BONUS WIDGET == NULL");

It must have something to do with either the widget or the null check. I also tried someWidget.isVisible() and someWidget.isHidden() but they both gave me a nullpointer error.

The weirdest part of all is that above this code i have likely exact the same code with another widget, but this one executes well!

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Hi there,

I got a weird error: my method calls for a widget, and i am 1000000% sure it is NOT null, still it returns null (i checked it by debugging the code with logs).

Heres the code:

WidgetChild someWidget = getWidgets().getWidgetChild(84, 26);

if(someWidget != null){
    	// some code

It must have something to do with either the widget or the null check. I also tried someWidget.isVisible() and someWidget.isHidden() but they both gave me a nullpointer error.

The weirdest part of all is that above this code i have likely exact the same code with another widget, but this one executes well!

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Did you try looking at the widget in the widget debugger while checking it?

Did you try looking at the widget in the widget debugger while checking it?

Yes, i am very sure i got the right widget. It sometimes works if i start the script with the widget already visible. I got the getText() a few times and it was the correct widget.

i forgot to mention the method itself looks like this:

private boolean hasRequirements(){
    //widget variables

if(widget1 == null){
    //CODE
    }

if(widget1 != null){
    //CODE
    }

return false;
    }

So basically if the widget is always null, the first part of the method will always execute. So i guess the widget is always returning null, but i am sure its not null..

Maybe i'm calling the widget incorrectly? Because in: "WidgetChild someWidget = getWidgets().getWidgetChild(84, 26);" 84 is the parent widget and 26 is the child widget.

That's correct, could you paste the whole stack trace here :)

Thanks

It's just giving a nullpointer exception if i don't check for nullpointers.

Otherwise, like the code above, it just skips the body and logs my manual log debug that the widget was null by doing:

if(someWidget != null){
    	// some code

And the widget debugger even notices the widgetchild, so it is not null at the time i call it.. I've checked that by refreshing the widget debugger when it should/shouldn't be visible

That's correct, could you paste the whole stack trace here :)

Thanks

Just post what the exception throws if you don't test for it

• [ERROR]21:53:53: Exception has occurred while running! Please report error to developer if problem persists!
    • [ERROR]21:53:53: java.lang.NullPointerException at main.RevisionMain.hasRequirementsr(RevisionMain.java:58) at org.dreambot.api.script.AbstractScript.run(AbstractScript.java:187) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Note: i made it nullpoint on purpose, else it wont even show a stack trace.

Double check the widget parent and child ID, and if they're correct you can try getWidgets().getWidget(84).getChild(26) (but I don't think that'll make a difference).

Double check the widget parent and child ID, and if they're correct you can try getWidgets().getWidget(84).getChild(26) (but I don't think that'll make a difference).

I have quadruple checked the widget child ID. It worked before with the SAME id, but since i ripped the nested code apart (it's correct, no flaws) it needs like 5 loops to see that the child is not null.

Oh and i already did that man, i got the above error with getWidgets().getWidget(84).getChild(26).

I have quadruple checked the widget child ID. It worked before with the SAME id, but since i ripped the nested code apart (it's correct, no flaws) it needs like 5 loops to see that the child is not null.

Oh and i already did that man, i got the above error with getWidgets().getWidget(84).getChild(26).

Just curious... not sure it'll help try getting the 84 widget and null checking it and then grab the child... tho..m getChild should throw an error then shouldn't it... hmm

Archived