Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • How to create custom listeners

Neffarion

Hello first of all thanks for this tutorial. I tweaked it slightly for my needs, in the end, I have in my main class the @override method from my NpcListener (equivalent to GrandExchangeListener in your eg.). This method actually returns a List<NPC>, I would then like to use this List in my main onLoop() method, how can I do that please help? I tried various things but not working.

34 minutes ago, jex124 said:

Hello first of all thanks for this tutorial. I tweaked it slightly for my needs, in the end, I have in my main class the @override method from my NpcListener (equivalent to GrandExchangeListener in your eg.). This method actually returns a List<NPC>, I would then like to use this List in my main onLoop() method, how can I do that please help? I tried various things but not working.

The onLoop is independent of the listener methods. If you want to use the npc list on the onloop then you need to have a global variable that holds the values you want, update it on that new listener method and use it on the onLoop

2 hours ago, Neffarion said:

The onLoop is independent of the listener methods. If you want to use the npc list on the onloop then you need to have a global variable that holds the values you want, update it on that new listener method and use it on the onLoop

In this case, where should the global variable be defined? The listener is an interface so you say update the variable there? Let us take your example as the reference, if your @override onItemBought method returned an Item obj, how would you have modified your example to be able to use it inside the onLoop? Thank you for your help. 

1 hour ago, jex124 said:

In this case, where should the global variable be defined? The listener is an interface so you say update the variable there? Let us take your example as the reference, if your @override onItemBought method returned an Item obj, how would you have modified your example to be able to use it inside the onLoop? Thank you for your help. 

You can just create it on the AbstractScript itself for example for simplicity

Alright, well this is very simple but for example, if you are waiting for a specific item to be bought you can make something like

public class Script extends AbstractScript implements GrandExchangeListener {

private final int wantedItemID = 3333;
        private boolean itemBought = false;

@Override
        public void onStart() {
            ListenerManager.getInstance().addListener(new GrandExchangeEvent(this));
        }

@Override
        public int onLoop() {
            if(this.itemBought){
              // collect item from GE
            }

return 2000;
        }

@Override
        public void onItemBought(GrandExchangeItemWrapper item) {
            if(item.getID() == this.wantedItemID){
                this.itemBought = true;
            }
        }

@Override
        public void onItemSold(GrandExchangeItemWrapper item) {

}

}

37 minutes ago, Neffarion said:

You can just create it on the AbstractScript itself for example for simplicity

Alright, well this is very simple but for example, if you are waiting for a specific item to be bought you can make something like

public class Script extends AbstractScript implements GrandExchangeListener {

private final int wantedItemID = 3333;
        private boolean itemBought = false;

@Override
        public void onStart() {
            ListenerManager.getInstance().addListener(new GrandExchangeEvent(this));
        }

@Override
        public int onLoop() {
            if(this.itemBought){
              // collect item from GE
            }

return 2000;
        }

@Override
        public void onItemBought(GrandExchangeItemWrapper item) {
            if(item.getID() == this.wantedItemID){
                this.itemBought = true;
            }
        }

@Override
        public void onItemSold(GrandExchangeItemWrapper item) {

}

}

Okay so in my attempts to do this, I couldn't find success.

public class Script extends AbstractScript implements NpcListener {

@Override
        public void onStart() {
            ListenerManager.getInstance().addListener(new NpcEvent(this));
        }

List<NPC> npcList; //also tried = new ArrayList<>(); also tried declaring as public/static/protected

@Override
        public int onLoop() {

if(!(this.npcList == null)) { //Also tried without instance reference "this."

for (NPC n : npcList) {
                    n.interactForceRight("Examine");
                    sleep(2500);
                }
            }

return 2000;
        }

@Override
        public void npcExamine(NpcWrapper nW) {
            this.npcList = nW.getNpcList(); //wrapper simply contains List<NPC> as provided by my fire() method.
        }
    }

my npcList is always null, however if I implement the npc Examine logic directly in the @Override npcExamine method, it runs. 😕

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, jex124 said:

Okay so in my attempts to do this, I couldn't find success.

public class Script extends AbstractScript implements NpcListener {

@Override
        public void onStart() {
            ListenerManager.getInstance().addListener(new NpcEvent(this));
        }

List<NPC> npcList; //also tried = new ArrayList<>(); also tried declaring as public/static/protected

@Override
        public int onLoop() {

if(!(this.npcList == null)) { //Also tried without instance reference "this."

for (NPC n : npcList) {
                    n.interactForceRight("Examine");
                    sleep(2500);
                }
            }

return 2000;
        }

@Override
        public void npcExamine(NpcWrapper nW) {
            this.npcList = nW.getNpcList(); //wrapper simply contains List<NPC> as provided by my fire() method.
        }
    }

my npcList is always null, however if I implement the npc Examine logic directly in the @Override npcExamine method, it runs. 😕

Thanks for your help.

thats most likely your event listener logic that is returning a null list, show us the code
    also if you want an npc listener you should probably just pass a single npc

16 hours ago, Neffarion said:

thats most likely your event listener logic that is returning a null list, show us the code
    also if you want an npc listener you should probably just pass a single npc

Yes there was a ConcurrentModification error as my NPC list was getting updated while I was iterating through it in my NpcEvent. I solved it through calling the iteration logic through a static method. Thank you for your help! I learned a lot.. many hours well spent :D

ps. my NpcEvent

public final class NpcEvent extends AbstractEvent implements EventInterface {
        private final NpcListener event;
        public NpcEvent(AbstractScript script) {
            super(script);
            this.event = (NpcListener) parentEvent;
        }
        private final String npcStringName = "Chicken";
        private List<NPC> fireNpcList;// = new ArrayList<NPC>();

@Override
        public void run() {
            while (!shouldStop() && canRun()) {
                if (canVerify()) {
                    //---Scans area of npc and stores tile locations------
                    List<Tile> startingTile = new ArrayList<>();
                    for (NPC n : NPCs.all(g -> g.getName().equals(npcStringName))) {
                        startingTile.add(n.getTile());
                    }
                    //----sleeps 5.5s for any changes to npc tile locations----
                    try {
                        Thread.sleep(5500);
                    } catch (InterruptedException e) {
                        MethodProvider.logError(e.toString());
                    }
                    //-----After sleep, scans area again for npc tile locations and stores them-------
                    List<Tile> endingTile = new ArrayList<>();
                        endingTile.add(n.getTile());
                    }
                    fireNpcList = handleConnected(startingTile,endingTile,npcStringName);
                    //----------fires the response------------------
                    if (!fireNpcList.isEmpty()) {
                        fire();
                    }
                    //-----------clears lists to start loop again
                    //fireNpcList.clear();
                }
            }
        }

private static ArrayList<NPC> handleConnected(List<Tile> a, List<Tile> b, String s) {
            ArrayList<NPC> npc = new ArrayList<>();
            //------Logic to remove any tile locations that hasn't changed i.e. npc has not moved-------
            List<Tile> union = new ArrayList<Tile>(a);
            union.addAll(b);
            List<Tile> intersection = new ArrayList<Tile>(a);
            intersection.retainAll(b);
            union.removeAll(intersection);
            // -----------------creates a list of npc that has moved location ----------
            for (NPC n : NPCs.all(g -> g.getName().equals(s) &&
                    g.isOnScreen())) {
                if (union.contains(n.getTile())) {
                    npc.add(n);
                }
            }
            return npc;
        }

@Override
        public void fire() {
            this.event.npcFight(new NpcWrapper(fireNpcList));
        }

private boolean canVerify() {
            return Client.isLoggedIn();
        }

private boolean shouldStop() {
            return !Client.getInstance().getScriptManager().isRunning();
        }
    }

2 hours ago, jex124 said:

Yes there was a ConcurrentModification error as my NPC list was getting updated while I was iterating through it in my NpcEvent. I solved it through calling the iteration logic through a static method. Thank you for your help! I learned a lot.. many hours well spent :D

ps. my NpcEvent

public final class NpcEvent extends AbstractEvent implements EventInterface {
        private final NpcListener event;
        public NpcEvent(AbstractScript script) {
            super(script);
            this.event = (NpcListener) parentEvent;
        }
        private final String npcStringName = "Chicken";
        private List<NPC> fireNpcList;// = new ArrayList<NPC>();

@Override
        public void run() {
            while (!shouldStop() && canRun()) {
                if (canVerify()) {
                    //---Scans area of npc and stores tile locations------
                    }
                    //----sleeps 5.5s for any changes to npc tile locations----
                    try {
                        Thread.sleep(5500);
                    } catch (InterruptedException e) {
                        MethodProvider.logError(e.toString());
                    }
                    //-----After sleep, scans area again for npc tile locations and stores them-------
                    List<Tile> endingTile = new ArrayList<>();
                        endingTile.add(n.getTile());
                    }
                    fireNpcList = handleConnected(startingTile,endingTile,npcStringName);
                    //----------fires the response------------------
                    if (!fireNpcList.isEmpty()) {
                        fire();
                    }
                    //-----------clears lists to start loop again
                    //fireNpcList.clear();
                }
            }
        }

private static ArrayList<NPC> handleConnected(List<Tile> a, List<Tile> b, String s) {
            ArrayList<NPC> npc = new ArrayList<>();
            //------Logic to remove any tile locations that hasn't changed i.e. npc has not moved-------
            List<Tile> union = new ArrayList<Tile>(a);
            union.addAll(b);
            List<Tile> intersection = new ArrayList<Tile>(a);
            intersection.retainAll(b);
            union.removeAll(intersection);
            // -----------------creates a list of npc that has moved location ----------
            for (NPC n : NPCs.all(g -> g.getName().equals(s) &&
                    g.isOnScreen())) {
                if (union.contains(n.getTile())) {
                    npc.add(n);
                }
            }
            return npc;
        }

@Override
        public void fire() {
            this.event.npcFight(new NpcWrapper(fireNpcList));
        }

private boolean canVerify() {
            return Client.isLoggedIn();
        }

private boolean shouldStop() {
            return !Client.getInstance().getScriptManager().isRunning();
        }
    }

Okay so you have some things you have done wrong, firstly you don't need a wrapper for this at all, passing an NPC to the listener methods is enough
    Secondly, you shouldn't filter the NPC's name here, that is done within the script when your npcFight gets called afterwards (think of the listener as being independent of your script)

Make sure you null check the npc's and npc list

List<NPC> npcs = NPCs.all(g -> g != null && g.getName().equals(npcStringName));
    if(npcs != null){
      for (NPC n : npcs) {
      }
    }

Regardless, I'm not entirely sure what is the objective of your listener, but you can't compare npcs with tiles alone because they can move

5 seconds is a long time to check in a listener, the delay is too large, I wouldn't do more than 2 seconds at most

Also you are not sleeping the thread if canVerify fails, if you log off your listener is going to spike the cpu

17 minutes ago, Neffarion said:

Okay so you have some things you have done wrong, firstly you don't need a wrapper for this at all, passing an NPC to the listener methods is enough
    Secondly, you shouldn't filter the NPC's name here, that is done within the script when your npcFight gets called afterwards (think of the listener as being independent of your script)

Make sure you null check the npc's and npc list

List<NPC> npcs = NPCs.all(g -> g != null && g.getName().equals(npcStringName));
    if(npcs != null){
      for (NPC n : npcs) {
      }
    }

Regardless, I'm not entirely sure what is the objective of your listener, but you can't compare npcs with tiles alone because they can move

5 seconds is a long time to check in a listener, the delay is too large, I wouldn't do more than 2 seconds at most

Also you are not sleeping the thread if canVerify fails, if you log off your listener is going to spike the cpu

Okay so if I understand correctly,

1. My listener should only do one job, i.e. track npc tile location changes and fire this list to my main script, I should do logic based on this in my main script.

2. I should add the thread sleep outside of the canVerify loop? However, since I take a scan ->sleep -> scan and compare changes, I need the sleep method inbetween, or I could implement a proper wrapper (I kept an empty wrapper just for completeness) that stores the states? .

3. From experiement, I noticed the sleep time was too much, thanks for that.

So the point of all of this is, sometimes when training Ranged from a safespot, an npc might become stuck behind an obstacle eventhough it is within the bow range. In that case, my character will continously run out -> attack -> fall back to safespot. This pattern looks obvious and is inefficient. My listener tracks npc tile locations and track for changes, if npc has not moved in a timeframe, he is likely to be stuck , so I ignore him.

Thanks for your help.

52 minutes ago, jex124 said:

Okay so if I understand correctly,

1. My listener should only do one job, i.e. track npc tile location changes and fire this list to my main script, I should do logic based on this in my main script.

2. I should add the thread sleep outside of the canVerify loop? However, since I take a scan ->sleep -> scan and compare changes, I need the sleep method inbetween, or I could implement a proper wrapper (I kept an empty wrapper just for completeness) that stores the states? .

3. From experiement, I noticed the sleep time was too much, thanks for that.

So the point of all of this is, sometimes when training Ranged from a safespot, an npc might become stuck behind an obstacle eventhough it is within the bow range. In that case, my character will continously run out -> attack -> fall back to safespot. This pattern looks obvious and is inefficient. My listener tracks npc tile locations and track for changes, if npc has not moved in a timeframe, he is likely to be stuck , so I ignore him.

Thanks for your help.

Yes

You should try to do it as I did in the example in the main post, that way you can do only scan -> compare -> sleep (the first time it runs it won't trigger anything but that isn't really relevant as it is runs often, and you are probably not needing it at that point so early)

For your problem I wouldn't personally use a listener as you can just save the npc when you attack and check for movement while you wait for it to kill it

Archived