Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • What are the legalities of massive goldfarms

warper55

I have been searching the internet for the legality of owning a goldfarm of multiple bots and then selling the gold you farm.

It seems to be a legal gray area. From what i know you are def breaking jagex's TOS but there is no legal precedent or actual laws against selling/farming gold in the usa.

what are your thoughts?

(hope im in the right forum section)

Not sure I would ever want to create a website, but I don't think it's illegal in most countries. You would have to own a huge botfarm/website to be targeted even then.

I have been searching the internet for the legality of owning a goldfarm of multiple bots and then selling the gold you farm.

It seems to be a legal gray area. From what i know you are def breaking jagex's TOS but there is no legal precedent or actual laws against selling/farming gold in the usa.

what are your thoughts?

(hope im in the right forum section)

It's against the TOS but it is not illegal to do anywhere that I know of, I know it's not in the UK so I am assuming it won't be in the US either especially since there are companys that sell VPS's for botting alone 

the chances of them finding and suing you is virtually 0, particularly if you're using a VPN or proxy. then there's the possibility of them winning the case. if you want to run a goldfarm, i wouldnt worry too much.

what about taxing your income from it? as long as your tax your income you are pretty much in the clear amirite?

Pretty much, they go after the ones selling the bots generally if anything.. Usually all they can get them on is name trademarks. Even if they did have some sort of law, it would likely only be if you decided to create a website and had a good marketshare of bot revenue. Theres no point wasting money on someone who is doing a pretty insignificant amount compared to massive chinese companies. 

If you're just selling to resellers or gold sites, you would likely be fine regardless.

just confirming what some of my friends said. Had a few irl friends with some small goldfarms made a few bucks. I want to do the same. I kinda think jagex makes money from the membership you buy anyways so i dont think they will ever completely wipe out goldfarms.

just confirming what some of my friends said. Had a few irl friends with some small goldfarms made a few bucks. I want to do the same. I kinda think jagex makes money from the membership you buy anyways so i dont think they will ever completely wipe out goldfarms.

It is against the law to sell a trademarked item that you do not own

It is against the law to sell a trademarked item that you do not own

yeah but you are only trading the item around in game so it would still just break the TOS but not be illegal by definition

yeah but you are only trading the item around in game so it would still just break the TOS but not be illegal by definition

If you sell it for irl money it is

Archived