Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users

• Dezval

Hey guys, I have a real life question for any and all scripters who have ever written a resume geared towards a programming/coding job.

Did you ever mention in your resume that you have made scripts either on here or elsewhere? If so, how did you go about integrating it/wording it?

Thank you in advance :)

I would assume you'd say something along the lines of:

- Self-employed, producing gaming add-on programs for a third-party software company.

Then assuming you get the interview, you should probably proceed to printing out your most well put together script as a written example of your work, if this is the closest to a coding job you've had.

There's a little bit of information, even though I lack a "first person experience" answer for you. Best of luck!

Make some projects on github, upload code. Try to make some that aren't just rs related (do some fizz-buzz or something) and upload them too.
    Employers love seeing people have github's vs printing out a paper. Also, bring your computer to show some working examples.

Some employers will even make you do a fizz-buzz test on the spot, so having one done on your github will sometimes get you around having to do it for them.

just say u create automation software xd

^

You can say that you created various automation software based on client(user) driven behaviors.

Shows that you've worked with clients and that you're capable of keeping yourself on track during work (rather than needing an employer/manager to repeatedly tell you what to do)

I wouldn't show any script code to a possible employer, but my resume says something along the lines of...

Creation, support, and marketing of automation tools that provide secondary revenue streams to clients.

It provides a good discussion point and I've had a lot of employers be rather interested in it ;)

I never decided to include it on my resume, figured it would get mixed results from employers. It's up to you though, just be ready to explain in detail any projects on your resume. Good luck! :)

I would assume you'd say something along the lines of:

- Self-employed, producing gaming add-on programs for a third-party software company.

Then assuming you get the interview, you should probably proceed to printing out your most well put together script as a written example of your work, if this is the closest to a coding job you've had.

There's a little bit of information, even though I lack a "first person experience" answer for you. Best of luck!

Make some projects on github, upload code. Try to make some that aren't just rs related (do some fizz-buzz or something) and upload them too.

Employers love seeing people have github's vs printing out a paper. Also, bring your computer to show some working examples.

Some employers will even make you do a fizz-buzz test on the spot, so having one done on your github will sometimes get you around having to do it for them.

^

You can say that you created various automation software based on client(user) driven behaviors.

Shows that you've worked with clients and that you're capable of keeping yourself on track during work (rather than needing an employer/manager to repeatedly tell you what to do)

I wouldn't show any script code to a possible employer, but my resume says something along the lines of...

Creation, support, and marketing of automation tools that provide secondary revenue streams to clients.

It provides a good discussion point and I've had a lot of employers be rather interested in it ;)

I never decided to include it on my resume, figured it would get mixed results from employers. It's up to you though, just be ready to explain in detail any projects on your resume. Good luck! :)

Thank you all for your advice! I truly appreciate it! :D

I will take all of this advice into high consideration. I shall hope for the best :)

• 2 months later...

I generally would advise not to mention it unless you can keep things kind of arbitrary, since I know some people will find this type of thing unethical. ("You write bots to play a videogame, and try to fool the game into thinking your'e a human,which breaks the rules?")

I worked an automation job at one point in my life, and they took complying with rules very seriously.

^

The above is also great advice, saying you work with automation software and program/study human-like behaviors is a positive way to describe your work. Just don't elaborate too much. If your interview is with HR or even a programmer far removed from this type of thing, there is no possible way of them ever understanding the sheer amount of effort/complexity that gets put into these sorts of projects. If you mention you write bots to play a videogame some might think of it as silly, or that you're not doing important things with your time.

On the other hand, if you get the right kind of interviewer, they might love it, but it's probably best to play it safe. 

You can always take your Java skills and throw some projects up on GitHub, far-removed from videogames! 

I've had very large Gaming Interviews and hold a good Software Eng job.

I'd recommend - Mention your Skill set + Experience; do not specifically say you've worked writing bot scripts / here.

They will overall frown if you are specific.

Say something like Video Game QA Automation Scripting or Video Game add-ons / overlays.

Archived