Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • What should I change?

bigpapabots

I am looking to improve my botting "best practices".

Rather than use a SOCKS5 proxy, I have been using a VPN (ExpressVPN) and about a month ago my bot was banned while botting for about 4 hours a day.

Shortly after I bonded up 3 new accounts and ran them all on the same custom scripts using the same VPN. I ran them for 3-5 days each for about 2-4 hours per day (in one session per day). I went on vacation and came back to find all 3 of my bots had been banned again, but none of them were doing the same activity (the scripts run through a variety of activities in a 2-4 hour session including skilling, questing and item gathering) at the point which they were all banned and none were logged in when they were banned. What did I do wrong most likely (botted too much, used a VPN, ran the accounts at the same time, maybe my scripts have flaws that are easy to detect), and what can I do to improve my odds of avoiding detections? I'm looking for honest criticism - assume I know little about botting best practices and be as hard as you need to be, my goal is only to get better.

Thank you.

Not sure where you got the idea, but please don't use VPN's. It's not good for botting. You end up sharing an ip with many other users. If you are using that low amount of bots, you might want to just use your home ip as it is safer

1 hour ago, Neffarion said:

Not sure where you got the idea, but please don't use VPN's. It's not good for botting. You end up sharing an ip with many other users. If you are using that low amount of bots, you might want to just use your home ip as it is safer

Appreciate the feedback, is there any sort of IP flagging on Jagex's end? If an account on my home IP gets banned, would I be at greater risk of bans in the future?

35 minutes ago, bigpapabots said:

Appreciate the feedback, is there any sort of IP flagging on Jagex's end? If an account on my home IP gets banned, would I be at greater risk of bans in the future?

You will be fine, home ip ban would only happen if you use that ip on a lot of bots and get them consistently banned

2 hours ago, bigpapabots said:

I never use proxies or anything, just my home IP and get accounts banned quit often while debugging my scripts or testing new ones. Doesn't affect anything, the accounts I actually take care of still last months and months.

19 hours ago, holic said:

I never use proxies or anything, just my home IP and get accounts banned quit often while debugging my scripts or testing new ones. Doesn't affect anything, the accounts I actually take care of still last months and months.

What does taking care of an account look like?

50 minutes ago, bigpapabots said:

What does taking care of an account look like?

"Biggest piece of advice I can give is manually do tutorial island and continue playing manually for a bit after creating the account. Then rest the account for a week or more and bot no more than a human would play, very casually at that too (ie breaks every ~1hr for 15mins-3hrs, with an AFK 'using my phone' break every 5-40mins for 1-10mins). "

• 7 months later...

Another tip, on top of the other good ones mentioned in this thread, is to add variety to what your bot does.

For example, train combat for 30-60 minutes, break 10-30 minutes, then do some other tasks like money making or skilling (woodcut, fish, cooking) for 20-40 minutes, then take another break (suggest a long one), then come back and start something else.

Max 3-4 hours a day or however long a human would play.

Also using the free scripts most likely will get you banned so it's better to learn and try to create your own local scripts (https://dreambot.org/forums/index.php?/forum/96-tutorials/)

Good luck!