Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Growing the DreamBot Community via Incentives for Free Scripts

osrssom

Hey all, I think this would be an interesting discussion so I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

I think DreamBot could benefit from growing the size and activity of the community, and I think that the way to do that is by creating some kind of incentive to release high quality free scripts for people to use. I don't have any specific ideas for the incentive, nor do I think it needs to be monetary (although it could). It could be as small as a stat next to your forum posts which shows total run time of scripts you've created (although this could be cheated, and I would love to hear different ideas).

In short, if we had more high quality free scripts, or at least one or two in each category, more new users would be attracted to DB.

Pros

• More people releasing scripts means more competition, leading to people creating higher quality scripts so that theirs are used.
    • More users means more sales for VIP, premium scripts, private scripting shops, and the market section as a whole.
    • More users means more interesting forums, a pro for someone like me who loves forums.

Cons

• More people using the available scripts could result in higher ban rates.
    • More competition/free scripts released means the current people probably profiting the most may have to step it up in places to retain their sales.

I encourage you to comment any other pros or cons and I'll add them to the post!

I think everyone would like more high quality, free scripts on the SDN, but outside of paying people to make them (and probably more importantly maintain them) it seems unrealistic to find some way that a person would really care about. I don't think something like a forum stat would really push someone to make and release a free script when they could make private or paid scripts with the same time :(

Even if we imagine we paid people, I worry about the second and third order effects of something like that. Would paying certain scripters deter others from making them and releasing them just for fun? I'm a big fan of our community, and I think a lot of it is because of the openness and sharing people do here which could be threatened by incentives of too much value. And that's completely ignoring the business concerns of cannibalizing our paid script sales with free replacements that we pay for (in one way or another).

Ultimately I think free scripts will always be more (ab)used and more likely to be profiled for bans, so I'm not sure if that tradeoff really works. With that said, I'm happy to hear what others think about it.

Thanks a ton for the thread, I appreciate the thought you put into this :D

(Also I'm not sure if you're in the EDU Discord, but here's an invite if not: https://discord.gg/wvZaH3W)

2 hours ago, Pandemic said:

I think everyone would like more high quality, free scripts on the SDN, but outside of paying people to make them (and probably more importantly maintain them) it seems unrealistic to find some way that a person would really care about. I don't think something like a forum stat would really push someone to make and release a free script when they could make private or paid scripts with the same time :(

Even if we imagine we paid people, I worry about the second and third order effects of something like that. Would paying certain scripters deter others from making them and releasing them just for fun? I'm a big fan of our community, and I think a lot of it is because of the openness and sharing people do here which could be threatened by incentives of too much value. And that's completely ignoring the business concerns of cannibalizing our paid script sales with free replacements that we pay for (in one way or another).

Ultimately I think free scripts will always be more (ab)used and more likely to be profiled for bans, so I'm not sure if that tradeoff really works. With that said, I'm happy to hear what others think about it.

(Also I'm not sure if you're in the EDU Discord, but here's an invite if not: https://discord.gg/wvZaH3W)

I think you're totally right in many senses:
    - Paid scripts decrease the chance of it being profiled.
    - Paid scripts have a certain amount of polish to them that incentives people to use them over free scripts (to a certain degree).
    - My family has been in sales, (including I) for quite awhile, and people use $ as an a descriptor for quality, even if its not so (rather buy a $30 coffee maker, than a $5 coffee marker, as you assume the $30 will do a better job and last longer).

However, if there was an increase and new rank created, say (Scripter+ = Scripter++ and Scripter++ = Scriper+++) or something of the sort I can see it happening).
    Scripter is a very easily achieved rank, whereas Scripter+ is semi more difficult. If there was an in-between that had limits say like $2.99 or something, it may have more incentives for decent scripters to release their stuff + maintain + improve based on suggestions. This new rank still deserves to have a test of competence, could be possibly dumbed down, or the (new) Scripter++ increased in difficulty. 

Just an idea as an in-between to what both of you are saying but still see a market here.

Regardless, going to join that discord and appreciate the link :)

3 hours ago, Pandemic said:

45 minutes ago, Axolotl said:

I think you're totally right in many senses:
    - Paid scripts decrease the chance of it being profiled.
    - Paid scripts have a certain amount of polish to them that incentives people to use them over free scripts (to a certain degree).
    - My family has been in sales, (including I) for quite awhile, and people use $ as an a descriptor for quality, even if its not so (rather buy a $30 coffee maker, than a $5 coffee marker, as you assume the $30 will do a better job and last longer).

However, if there was an increase and new rank created, say (Scripter+ = Scripter++ and Scripter++ = Scriper+++) or something of the sort I can see it happening).
    Scripter is a very easily achieved rank, whereas Scripter+ is semi more difficult. If there was an in-between that had limits say like $2.99 or something, it may have more incentives for decent scripters to release their stuff + maintain + improve based on suggestions. This new rank still deserves to have a test of competence, could be possibly dumbed down, or the (new) Scripter++ increased in difficulty. 

Just an idea as an in-between to what both of you are saying but still see a market here.

Regardless, going to join that discord and appreciate the link :)

Appreciate all the thoughts, I think you guys are def right and monetary couldn’t work. 

Only other thing I can think of would be requiring the different Scripter ranks to maintain a certain amount/quality of free scripts. This changes it being a fun perk into something that would be a hassle, tho, which also isn’t ideal. 

7 minutes ago, osrssom said:

Appreciate all the thoughts, I think you guys are def right and monetary couldn’t work. 

Only other thing I can think of would be requiring the different Scripter ranks to maintain a certain amount/quality of free scripts. This changes it being a fun perk into something that would be a hassle, tho, which also isn’t ideal. 

I wasn't saying monetary couldn't work. I was just saying that having the ability to charge whatever you want (one time, monthly, instance) may be changed and modified to account for an in-between tier. Like Scipter+ could turn into monetized tier but having a limit of 2.99 lifetime, whereas former scripter+ would = scripter++ (whatever pricing scheme you determine is correct, and scripter+++ being scripter++). Just a way to find an in-between both of you, as I can understand and see the perspective of both sides.

Very few people will create greatness for free, but, even if its something as small as $2.99, they may see the incentive and it may also help push more people to a higher scripter rank and further dreambots success.

Archived