Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Try asking for help in the chatbox
  • How to start off scripting?

swaghax

Hey yall, quick question.  I keep seeing people making advanced scripts like botting vorkath while im over here tryna figure out how tf do i even learn the dreambot api.  I also have no previous experience with java but have some in javascript, should I learn java?

Thanks in advance :)

11 hours ago, swaghax said:

Hey yall, quick question.  I keep seeing people making advanced scripts like botting vorkath while im over here tryna figure out how tf do i even learn the dreambot api.  I also have no previous experience with java but have some in javascript, should I learn java?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey there,

Yeah taking some time to learn Java itself will be very important. JavaScript and Java are not the same thing, and while it will help to have some understanding of programming concepts you won't get too far without figuring out things as basic as the syntax. Take it from me lol, I did that and it was not particularly productive - now I'm going through an intro to Java course which I would recommend you do. This is what I'm doing right now: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-java I'm sure you could find hundreds of similar resources if this happens to not appeal to you.

Learning the DBAPI will take some time as you'll need to familiarize yourself with the various methods, classes, etc that they've built for this platform. Start by making relatively simple scripts and you'll figure things out. You can also join the discord #help channel to ask questions, people seem to be very helpful & attentive there.

To start making scripts you want a strong grasp of object oriented programming. Learning about filters and predicates will really help you out.

The javadocs are pretty great, just about anything you need can be found in them. I recommend making something very simple for your first scripts like powerfishing or powercutting trees.

On 10/12/2021 at 5:17 AM, swaghax said:

how tf do i even learn the dreambot api

you look at the guides, set up the dev environment and then start writing scripts, db api is braindead, you want to open the closest bank? Bank.openClosest() shits not rocket science. all methods are documented in https://dreambot.org/javadocs

dont worry too much about learning oop concepts & shit that much, taking courses is boring ur better off just writing shit code and then refactoring every time you learn something new.

7 hours ago, camalCase said:

you look at the guides, set up the dev environment and then start writing scripts, db api is braindead, you want to open the closest bank? Bank.openClosest() shits not rocket science. all methods are documented in https://dreambot.org/javadocs

dont worry too much about learning oop concepts & shit that much, taking courses is boring ur better off just writing shit code and then refactoring every time you learn something new.

Pretty much this.  They made it easy to code and the more you write the better you get... my first few scripts are hilarious to look back at and that was maybe 3 weeks ago? Learning how to read/search the javadoc is gonna be huge.  I also think understanding objects in general is a big deal as the more complex you get the more you'll need to know how to code a bit.