Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • This seems like a slight invasion of privacy on Jags part

onamission

https://www.jagex.com/en-GB/terms

"We are under no obligation to actively monitor and/or moderate User Content. We do however undertake very limited monitoring detailed below.

Anti-Cheat Technologies

We may use anti-cheat technologies in relation to the Jagex Products. When you connect online to a game server, these technologies may activate and monitor your game play, the files on your computer associated with the Jagex Product or that otherwise access our servers, and your computer's memory, purely for the purposes of detecting and preventing cheating.

If any of these anti-cheat technologies detect cheating, we may collect relevant information necessary for our investigation and enforcement purposes, including your Account name, details about the unauthorized third party program and the Jagex Product files modification detected, and the time and date it was detected. We also may terminate these Terms, your access to the Jagex Products, and your Jagex Account if we determine you have been cheating.

Chat Monitors

We do not actively monitor chat between users. We have systems that monitor chat for certain keywords and provide us with a selection of high-risk User Content to review.

Further we review any chat that contains phrases supplied to us by the Internet Watch Foundation and relate to child protection issues or where a user indicates in chat that they are under 13 years old.

We also review chat logs if we have a reasonable suspicion that a user may be contemplating suicide or harming other users or third parties. We may supply chat logs to relevant civil and criminal authorities in line with our Privacy Policy."

I dont know if this is news or not but it is interesting. I imagine the bolded is normal for anti-cheat software.

How do they get this access? Is it through the firewall ports when you run the game app?

Do they have access to file/memory locations at all times as long as you've ran the runescape client one time?

How do we know they wont "accidentally" or perhaps legitimately by accident take more information than they need?

How can one block certain parameters from accessing file/memory locations without breaking the game app?

It's freaking scary,  a clear  violation of privacy

I am not a coder, but I figure it wouldn't be hard for a coder to make a fake memory track - or to hide a suspicious memory track.

1 hour ago, alsig said:

It's freaking scary,  a clear  violation of privacy

I am not a coder, but I figure it wouldn't be hard for a coder to make a fake memory track - or to hide a suspicious memory track.

An amateur can learn to perform a vanilla buffer overflow in 1 week tops, with that you are "tricking" the stack pointer to execute your code but thats only if youre dealing with unsanitized/unrestricted inputs and overall pretty poorly written code. Definitely gets a heck of a lot more complicated when protections start becoming layered

e.g. needless to say really, we wouldnt have runelite or dblauncher without this work: https://github.com/zeruth/runescape-client

This is simple CYA by them, just because they add something to their terms doesn't mean they're actively using it, and it especially doesn't mean they're using it in everything they make.

If they were doing this in OSRS, we would have seen it by now :)

1 hour ago, onamission said:

e.g. needless to say really, we wouldnt have runelite or dblauncher without this work: https://github.com/zeruth/runescape-client

We've been around for years before that repo's initial commit, I'm not sure what you're implying here.

20 minutes ago, Pandemic said:

This is simple CYA by them, just because they add something to their terms doesn't mean they're actively using it, and it especially doesn't mean they're using it in everything they make.

We've been around for years before that repo's initial commit, I'm not sure what you're implying here.

Oh, sorry. I am not familiar with the timeline of events around here. That is what I get for making assumptions based off what I want to make sense in my head.

Game hackers sat behind a large round table in a dimly lit room for months on end, transcribing the osrs application into more user friendly medium for the betterment of humanity. Upon completion of the translation, there were archaic celebrations which portrayed extreme similarities to the primitive and bewildered excitement of ancient human-primate hybrids discovering fire. By dawn, a mutual agreement maintained that each contributor would go on their separate ways to spread the good word of botting.

Just to be clear, you are saying that the events did not unfold like that?

7 minutes ago, bottymcbots said:

Weird that you don't assume everything has access to your data like this.

I do. Ive accepted for quite awhile that nothing we do is private.

Focusing on Jag since RS is the theme of this site.

5 hours ago, bottymcbots said:

Weird that you don't assume everything has access to your data like this.

Let's just ignore and not think about our privacy being invaded cuz maybe probably kinda someone is already watching us.

Have they finally moved to signature scanning to detect our bots? I've been out of the loop for a while. Are they really actively scanning memory? Anti-cheat developers have been doing this for ages, I hope we don't start that arms race with Jagex. Cheaters / modders and AC devs are currently fighting this fight in Windows kernel space xD.

13 hours ago, Pandemic said:

Can you implement something to prevent them from doing this?
    Could reduce bans which is top priority. 

Archived