Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Behaviour trees for better code structure

jgs95

Hi all,

Introduction

This post is about using the behaviour tree AI concept to improve the structure of your scripts.  When I started out writing scripts I used the binary tree approach but this resulted in quite a deep/nested structure which wasn't easy to maintain.  I found the binary tree approach wasn't suitable for sequences.  I.e. a linear sequence of N actions, as on each game loop the tree would need to be traversed, and context data would need to be evaluated to determine the next step in the sequence.

After looking around online I found this article: Behaviour trees for AI and how they work

This article provides a decent introduction to behaviour trees, what they are, what they do and how they are structured, so I'd recommend you read that before applying the behaviour tree approach.

API Design

I wrote my own framework a few weeks ago to implement this approach but it wasn't easy to modify once the script was finished, so I looked for an approach that has better maintainability and is easy to setup the structure and understand/read.  I found this github repository that provides a decent Fluent API for behaviour trees but needed to adapt it as it didn't implement the behaviour trees in the same way as the above article.  So I adapted the API and wrote a proof of concept script that simply chops Logs in Lumbridge.

Code - Main Class

Here is the main script class with comments providing an explanation.

@ScriptManifest(name = "Woodcutter", version = 1, author = "JGFighter95", category = Category.WOODCUTTING)
    public class Woodcutter extends AbstractScript {
        private Node<WoodcutterData> tree;
        private WoodcutterData woodcutterData;

@Override
        public int onLoop() {
            this.tree.tick(woodcutterData);
            return (int) Calculations.nextGaussianRandom(600, 100);
        }

@Override
        public void onStart() {
            // WoodcutterData is accessible by the nodes in the tree. This class can be used
            // to provide a data context/information sharing object. It can also contain helper
            // methods to provide code reuse.
            this.woodcutterData = new WoodcutterData();

// I have a context property of type MethodContext, so the nodes can use methods
            // such as getLocalPlayer()
            this.woodcutterData.context = this;

// Set the generic property of TreeBuilder to WoodcutterData. This can be
            // any class you want and it doesn't need to extend any abstract class or
            // implement any interface.
            this.tree = new TreeBuilder<WoodcutterData>()
                 // Repeat until fail has 1 child node and executes it until it returns
                 // a status of Failure.
                .repeatUntilFail()
                    // Selector is a composite node (meaning it has one or many child nodes).
                    // As soon as one of its children return Success, the selector returns
                    // Success back to its parent. If a chlid returns Failure it will keep
                    // processing each child until they are all processed. If they are all
                    // processed and none have returned Success, the selector will return
                    // Failure. This is good for fallback scenarios, i.e. attempt action 1
                    // and if it fails fall back to action 2, and so on.
                    .selector()

// Insert is used to add a sub-tree to the tree. You could modularise
                        // functionality into trees, and reuse them in other scripts by inserting
                        // them. 
                        .insert(woodcuttingSubTree())
                        .insert(bankSubTree())
                    .finish()
                .finish()
                .build();
        }

// The woodcutting subtree performs the woodcutting section of the script: walk to
        // trees, find a tree, chop it down, wait for it to complete, then repeat until
        // the inventory is full.
        private Node<WoodcutterData> woodcuttingSubTree() {
            return new TreeBuilder<WoodcutterData>()
                // Like the selector described above, the sequence is also a composite. However,
                // for the sequence to return Success, each of its children must return Success.
                .sequence()
                    // Condition is a type of leaf node. If it returns true, the sequence will
                    // continue, otherwise it will end and return Failure to its parent.
                    .condition(new HasEnoughInventorySpace())
                    .sequence()
                        // An action is simply a leaf node (no children) which performs an 
                        // action.
                        .action(new WalkToTrees())

// Perform the woodcutting sequence until it returns Failure, which
                        // would happen when the HasEnoughInventorySpace returns Failure.
                        .repeatUntilFail()
                            .sequence()
                                .condition(new HasEnoughInventorySpace())
                                .action(new FindTree())
                                .action(new ChopDownTree())
                                .action(new WaitForLogs())
                            // After all the composite childs are done, you must call finish()
                            // to move the node pointer in the tree builder back until it
                            // gets to the root level. YOu don't really need to understand how
                            // it works, just that each composite child needs to be 'finished' once
                            // its children have been added, otherwise the tree won't be built
                            // properly.
                            .finish()
                        .finish()
                    .finish()
                .finish()
                .build();
        }

private Node<WoodcutterData> bankSubTree() {
            return new TreeBuilder<WoodcutterData>()
                .sequence()
                    .action(new WalkToBank())
                    .action(new OpenBank())
                    .action(new DepositLogs())
                    .action(new CloseBank())
                .finish()
                .build();
        }
    }

Code - HasEnoughInventorySpace (Condition)

public class HasEnoughInventorySpace implements Function<WoodcutterData, Boolean> {
        @Override
        public Boolean apply(WoodcutterData woodcutterData) {
            MethodProvider.log("Condition: HasEnoughInventorySpace");
            return Inventory.emptySlotCount() >= 1;
        }
    }

Code - FindTree (Action)

public class FindTree implements Function<WoodcutterData, State> {
        @Override
        public State apply(WoodcutterData woodcutterData) {
            MethodProvider.log("Action: FindTree");
            GameObject tree = GameObjects.closest(new Filter<GameObject>() {
                @Override
                public boolean match(GameObject treeCandidate) {
                    if (!treeCandidate.getName().equals("Tree")) return false;
                    if (!treeCandidate.hasAction("Chop down")) return false;
                    List<Player> playersNextToTree = Players.all(new Filter<Player>() {
                        @Override
                        public boolean match(Player player) {
                            if (player.getName().equals(woodcutterData.context.getLocalPlayer().getName())) return false;
                            if (player.distance(treeCandidate) > 1) return false;
                            return true;
                        }
                    });
                    if (playersNextToTree.size() > 0) return false;
                    return true;
                }
            });
            if (tree == null) return State.RUNNING;
            woodcutterData.tree = tree;
            return State.SUCCESS;
        }
    }

BitBucket Repository

For the full script here is the bit bucket repository: jonathanstewart147 / db_behaviour_trees1 — Bitbucket

Conclusion

Hopefully this post made sense but please ask any questions and I will be happy to discuss them.

If you think about any improvements to this approach, or if there is something already out there, please let me know! :)

Happy scripting!

• 2 months later...

Archived