Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • View on gender reassignment?

I know quite a few actually. How many do you know? Have you ever heard of HRT? People don't just realize they are trans and jump right onto the surgery table. Why you think that is the only outcome of this is unknown to me.

And no that isn't just his argument. The quote I linked has an argument of its own.

You might not agree with getting plastic surgery done but that doesn't really matter here. I was just using your post (didn't mean to single you out btw) to show that people stigmatize trans people by brushing them off and going "oh they're just mentally ill" when that label has many real life consequences. For example being forced to undergo "therapies" that are set on curing them. 

Of course people don't jump onto a surgery table, and yes I am aware of hormone therapy, but hormone therapy doesn't turn you into a girl or a guy if you're the opposite. In fact, I think it could hurt even more based on what I said in the post you replied to. Hormone therapy is likely nearly as irreversible as surgery.

Why are the "solutions" to this irreversible? How can that possibly be the best solution?

Can you show me where people are being "forced" to undergo therapy? I'm aware of that happening for other LGB people, so it's not unlikely that is occurring. I'd agree that part of that issue is demonization of those people, but those responsible for that type of "camp" (I say camp as that's the trend w/ lgb places) are (in my opinion) insane. It's often because of religion that these types of thing occur. 

I don't think labeling anything as a "mental illness" or disease is harmful if it has basis in reality. Is it harmful to say that people with depression have a mental disease or disorder? What about people w/ bipolar disorder? I think the real issue is the misunderstanding of what the term mental illness means. Most people see it as someone being dangerous or insane, but it is much more nuanced and complicated than that.

(PS: Don't worry about "singling" anyone out. I don't have any ill will towards anyone who has a differing viewpoint than me. that'd be pretty silly)

Of course people don't jump onto a surgery table, and yes I am aware of hormone therapy, but hormone therapy doesn't turn you into a girl or a guy if you're the opposite. In fact, I think it could hurt even more based on what I said in the post you replied to. Hormone therapy is likely nearly as irreversible as surgery.

Why are the "solutions" to this irreversible? How can that possibly be the best solution?

Can you show me where people are being "forced" to undergo therapy? I'm aware of that happening for other LGB people, so it's not unlikely that is occurring. I'd agree that part of that issue is demonization of those people, but those responsible for that type of "camp" (I say camp as that's the trend w/ lgb places) are (in my opinion) insane. It's often because of religion that these types of thing occur. 

I don't think labeling anything as a "mental illness" or disease is harmful if it has basis in reality. Is it harmful to say that people with depression have a mental disease or disorder? What about people w/ bipolar disorder? I think the real issue is the misunderstanding of what the term mental illness means. Most people see it as someone being dangerous or insane, but it is much more nuanced and complicated than that.

(PS: Don't worry about "singling" anyone out. I don't have any ill will towards anyone who has a differing viewpoint than me. that'd be pretty silly)

Yes conversion therapy has been used mainly on people who are gay/lesbian/bisexual/and other sexualities, but it is still something many trans youth encounter. It doesn't always have to be a camp.

for example : http://time.com/3655718/leelah-alcorn-suicide-transgender-therapy/

And the reason I am against language like "I don't think labeling anything as a "mental illness" or disease is harmful if it has basis in reality."  is because that is the same justification people used many times over in the past for the things listen in the quote I posted and many more. 

The fact that most people see it as being dangerous or insane is the reason why it is harmful to trans people and many others. 

hey guys way to gravedig smh

It was only a few weeks in a discussion topic, not a big deal.

I personally identify as an attack helicopter

3021307-inline-fb-thumbsup-printpackagin

Yes conversion therapy has been used mainly on people who are gay/lesbian/bisexual/and other sexualities, but it is still something many trans youth encounter. It doesn't always have to be a camp.

for example : http://time.com/3655718/leelah-alcorn-suicide-transgender-therapy/

And the reason I am against language like "I don't think labeling anything as a "mental illness" or disease is harmful if it has basis in reality."  is because that is the same justification people used many times over in the past for the things listen in the quote I posted and many more. 

The fact that most people see it as being dangerous or insane is the reason why it is harmful to trans people and many others. 

It may be the same justification, but the circumstance is very different. Unless we are assuming that religion is the cause of transphobia, at least. My main point is that the current solutions (in the eye of "progressive" people) is irreversible, and therefore shouldn't be what is recommended to young people, or perhaps to people in general.

Did either of you even watch the full video?.. He claims mental "disease" isn't real because they don't qualify as "physical" diseases. "Diseases are malfunctions of the human body". So... in that case, schizophrenia isn't a real disease because its an imbalance of chemicals, similar to any other mental disorder. That guy also has co-operated with the church of scientology.

If you have actual views that you came to yourself, I'm interested in hearing them. Not interested in hearing regurgitated rhetoric from tumblr tho.

Nope, I just thought that quote was pretty interesting.

I felt like I could relate because I wish there would be more equality around.

I don't know alot about imbalanced chemicals and shit, I just provide support for those that need it.

Blue pill alert.

Archived