Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Learning Java

Cruel

Alright guys so my summer project is to learn java so I can begin to write scripts both for myself and for the site. I have never coded before in my life and I'm looking for places to start. Any specific recommendations for learning would be much appreciated. Also, I am open to using both reading material and videos to learn as I feel both are useful in their own right. Thanks in advance everyone and let's turn me into a scripter ;) 

Most people advise to learn Java, although not everyone can learn in the same way (I can't learn from videos). I would tell you to look at code and learn from it and write your own through help from videos.

Alright guys so my summer project is to learn java so I can begin to write scripts both for myself and for the site. I have never coded before in my life and I'm looking for places to start. Any specific recommendations for learning would be much appreciated. Also, I am open to using both reading material and videos to learn as I feel both are useful in their own right. Thanks in advance everyone and let's turn me into a scripter ;)

To be honest, I probably learned the majority of Java basics from a textbook called "Programming and problem solving with java, second edition By Nell Dale".

It's copyrighted, so I can't post a link to it, however I know for certain you can find it online in PDF format. If you want to buy the book, it's $200 new, and around $18 used on Amazon. Although you won't have a teacher there giving you answers, I think a lot of the answers are in the book.

I only took one semester of Java, and learned the rest on my own through experimentation with DreamBot's client/API.

I look back now, and I think I probably could've taught myself how to code by scripting bots. It's a great place to learn. I was thinking of making some commentated scripting tutorials, and if you want one, let me know and I'll actually make it!

Hit me up with any questions you have.

I started with book Thinking in java IV by Bruce.

Anyways to learn anything u need motivation.
    What you want to do in java? If you only see scripts, then you need reconsider it lol.

What you want to do in java? If you only see scripts, then you need reconsider it lol.

This, everyone who tries to learn programming only to make scripts is shit.

OT: YouTube Derek Banas, thenewboston is a moron.

If you're trying to learn for the absolute purpose of writing scripts for runescape, it's going to be a big waste of time.

Once you learn the fundamentals of Java get your hands on an open-src script and just start tweaking/experimenting w/ it. I find that by experimenting and making the code work on your own you can learn at a much faster rate than trying to learn form a book. 

While scripting might not be the most glorious position, you can definitely earn a greater understanding of how logic works. This will put you ahead of many coders in some aspects. That being said, I'd definitely try to find some other projects to work on as well, as scripting will limit your abilities after awhile (until you have some new crazy idea)

u donated $100 for real lol?

Thanks to everyone except you. This is useless lol

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still taking suggestions :) Starting right now!

Archived