Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Multiple Suggestions

Greeting DB Community,

After being a member of the community for a short time, I have a few suggestions relating to the forum, scripting and client. These might already exist and I may not have seen them but wanted to raise them regardless:

Forum:

- It might be valuable to create a sticky post containing the application template to the staff and scripter application sections since when viewing those sections, it's now possible to easily get back to the template without opening a new tab or going back. It is only a minor thing but I have seen other communities implement a similar system and it helps to keep everything in one place.

Script / Client Management:

- In addition to being able to upload scripts to the SDN git, it could also prove useful if we could have an issue tracker associated with each script / repo (in a similar way to github's issue tracker). This would allow for any issues to be raised there (keeping the forum slightly tidier) and also make it crystal clear for "at-a-glance" issues and see which version they are likely to be fixed in. This could also make it easy to create, suggest and address suggestions from users.

- Further to the above, it could be advantageous to have an issue tracker for the client itself (I respect that the code isn't public). This would once again allow bugs and suggestions to be listed in an "at-a-glance" list. It could additionally allow for very public / transparent development road-maps and plans for certain functions and suggestions to be implemented.

Lastly, assuming the above does not already exist - do we have separate places for suggestions about the site, client and API or are they all contained within the same forum category of "Suggestions & Feedback"? I respect this is more of a question than a suggestion.

If any or all of the above already exist, please do let me know. Additionally, if any of these suggestions are not applicable - I am happy to accept that they may become moot points.

54 minutes ago, Chaos_Harmony said:

Lastly, assuming the above does not already exist - do we have separate places for suggestions about the site, client and API or are they all contained within the same forum category of "Suggestions & Feedback"? I respect this is more of a question than a suggestion.

The sub forum posted in is for site suggestions/feedback, there is a "suggestions" sub forum under Client Support -> Suggestions

55 minutes ago, Chaos_Harmony said:

- Further to the above, it could be advantageous to have an issue tracker for the client itself (I respect that the code isn't public). This would once again allow bugs and suggestions to be listed in an "at-a-glance" list. It could additionally allow for very public / transparent development road-maps and plans for certain functions and suggestions to be implemented.

While this would be cool luckily Nezz is great at knocking out issues as soon as they are reported.  As for a development road map  * sighs * the best you'll get is this 

the other devs are all under NDAs on its development tho but supposedly~ @Notorious is still chippin away at it~

59 minutes ago, Chaos_Harmony said:

- In addition to being able to upload scripts to the SDN git, it could also prove useful if we could have an issue tracker associated with each script / repo (in a similar way to github's issue tracker). This would allow for any issues to be raised there (keeping the forum slightly tidier) and also make it crystal clear for "at-a-glance" issues and see which version they are likely to be fixed in. This could also make it easy to create, suggest and address suggestions from users

Same as above where script developers (at least the good ones) generally keep on top of there shit and update them asap.  So why make them take the extra step when there work flow its get a a bug fix the bug?  While the SDN was just cleaned for awhile there were tons of dead scripters scripts that just slowly rotted away.  Scripts like that would 0 upkeep would just become a mess when really your best bet is just posting on the scripts forum post reporting the bug/dead scripter.

The sub forum posted in is for site suggestions/feedback, there is a "suggestions" sub forum under Client Support -> Suggestions

That certainly does make sense. I must admit that since I visit the forums primarily to view things in the scripting sub-section, I have almost developed a "tunnel vision" and subconsciously skip the other sections - this does tell me that I need to take my time and explore other sections appropriately.

15 hours ago, Chaos_Harmony said:

While this would be cool luckily Nezz is great at knocking out issues as soon as they are reported.  As for a development road map  * sighs * the best you'll get is this 

- In addition to being able to upload scripts to the SDN git, it could also prove useful if we could have an issue tracker associated with each script / repo (in a similar way to github's issue tracker). This would allow for any issues to be raised there (keeping the forum slightly tidier) and also make it crystal clear for "at-a-glance" issues and see which version they are likely to be fixed in. This could also make it easy to create, suggest and address suggestions from users

Same as above where script developers (at least the good ones) generally keep on top of there shit and update them asap.  So why make them take the extra step when there work flow its get a a bug fix the bug?  While the SDN was just cleaned for awhile there were tons of dead scripters scripts that just slowly rotted away.  Scripts like that would 0 upkeep would just become a mess when really your best bet is just posting on the scripts forum post reporting the bug/dead scripter.

These are very good points - I think I was allowing my professional work life to blend with my script development a little bit and was thinking along the lines of long-term milestones, builds, releases etc. which I realise with the auto-updater of the client and the ability to quickly test, compile and release scripts - the above becomes a moot point and would add a lot of overhead to each step.

Thank you very much for the enlightening feedback - I'm happy for this to be closed / archived.

Archived