Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Forums Activity Suggestion

Defiled

Hello,

Dreambot's users are plenty and newcomers appear everyday, but for some reason the forums lack high activity and I know .. botting has declined nowadays but still...

I have a few suggestions to help raise forums activity!

Before I get into the suggestions, I wanna say that I dearly love this forum and I enjoy every reply/post I make! So all I want is that the forums get more brighter with lovely new people!

1) Post count as a form of currency:

- While I was at a offshore web hosting forums in late 2014, they would function as the more you have posts the more disk space you can acquire with your free offshore hosting. The same thing can be implemented here with a variety of products! for an example users can get VIP for free for a month when they earn atleast 100 posts for an example and have been active on the forums for atleast 60 days or something.. also a lot of scripts can also be used for a period for free when having a set post count or even rep.

- I understand that this requires more moderators to remove spammy posts but its worth it in terms of saving the forums!

2) Unique giveaway system:

- Dreambot could have a jar (get it? :3) where users can donate items/$/gp and what not every month and that jar could be won by a certain user every month in sayyy a game/competition etc.. 😛

3) An official Community-Built DreamBot Youtube channel:

A channel that the staff creates that gets filled with members' content.

4) A Proggies Competition

Where people can upload screenies of their botting progression and winner could be selected monthly

5) More mods (ehm)

A few sections contain non related threads. That should be cleaned by mods.

6) A Better ChatBox

As I mentioned in my chatbox suggestions thread.

7) A Abandoned Cart kindof system but for botting

This could send emails to people who haven't been active for a long time.. believe me some people just need a light push to the shoulder to bring back!

Important:

During my time here on Dreambot, I've seen a lot of active members leave within a few weeks.. and that results from:

1) Failure to bot correctly because of locks and bans.

2) Overspending and not retaining back the funds from the botting done

3) Getting lost in method scouting

These reasons aren't caused by DreamBot but they are struggles made by the tougher environment Jagex made for botters.

That's why I suggest a Newcomers Guide Rank which can assist new comers and correct their path. I would recommend @yeeter01 for this rank.

and that's it!

Thanks!

I agree on the YouTube channel. Something like that sould be rather nice feature. 

Chatbox wise idk if there is anything better than Babble....

Proggies comp - could easily be cheated so you'd need to figure out a shared framework or system for scripts to use that relay data back. Could still be cheated tho. (Not saying anyone would but at the end of the day we are on a forum full of people cheating on a video game so wouldn't be out of line imo for them to cheat in a video game cheating competition).

Post count - sounds like hell to moderate and would up the low quality post count stupid amounts.  Ex nothing would prevent someone requesting a trail for every script to farm post count. 

More mods - if it was more active I'd say yeah but most mods are on speed dial.  Usually I just @ my boi @depwession and he shows up does his thing then dabs out. 

Abandoned cart - I could see this being kinda cool. Just make it an unsubscribable option. 

Give away system - would require more active people I think and probably be more work on staffs end.  I'd donate tho. 

As for the last part 

Uuuhhhh..

While I like to help people idk if I'd want to be the go to guy for that, would depend what all was required. I also have staff app sitting already so if they needed me they'ed lmk(probably?).  Most of the time helping new comers is either hand holding how to install Java 8 or crushing their dreams of being the worlds best botter in under an hour and 0$ (in as polite as possible way).

2 minutes ago, yeeter01 said:

I agree on the YouTube channel. Something like that sould be rather nice feature. 

Chatbox wise idk if there is anything better than Babble....

Proggies comp - could easily be cheated so you'd need to figure out a shared framework or system for scripts to use that relay data back. Could still be cheated tho. (Not saying anyone would but at the end of the day we are on a forum full of people cheating on a video game so wouldn't be out of line imo for them to cheat in a video game cheating competition).

Post count - sounds like hell to moderate and would up the low quality post count stupid amounts.  Ex nothing would prevent someone requesting a trail for every script to farm post count. 

More mods - if it was more active I'd say yeah but most mods are on speed dial.  Usually I just @ my boi @depwession and he shows up does his thing then dabs out. 

Abandoned cart - I could see this being kinda cool. Just make it an unsubscribable option. 

Give away system - would require more active people I think and probably be more work on staffs end.  I'd donate tho. 

As for the last part 

Uuuhhhh..

While I like to help people idk if I'd want to be the go to guy for that, would depend what all was required. I also have staff app sitting already so if they needed me they'ed lmk(probably?).  Most of the time helping new comers is either hand holding how to install Java 8 or crushing their dreams of being the worlds best botter in under an hour and 0$ (in as polite as possible way).

Good points Yeeter,

Regarding the post currency, from the way the offshore web host worked there were attempts of post farming BUT in the same time there were more mods. Believe me (Donald Trump accent).. the forums was really active.. yes there were low quality posts but they were removed by the mods. The feature alone of getting VIP for posts attracts more people and this really gives a huge burst to the amount of people on the forums. Huge penalities could be put in place and restrictions to prevent those kind of posts..

Yes, True most of them have the Java 8 problem but they eventually get through it and start DB.. then the locks and bans occur and they give up! that's the main reason for this rank.

2 hours ago, Infidel said:

Personally, I believe we have to understand the base audience before we can follow suit with any of these additions. 

So, who is our base audience?

My distorted views;

• Staff - Which mainly chime in to keep us informed on important information needed/the glue that holds the scripting and market places securely together. 
    • Scripters - Which mainly chime in to get updates for the API / reporting client-script issues /  get-set ideas / advise-help those using their scripts-creating scripts.
    • Blackmarketers - Which mainly chime in to sell-buy related products.
    • Reconginitioners - Which mainly chime in to get noticed / get attention.
    • Botters - Which mainly chime in to get help / find scripts / ask advice.
    • Bullshitters - Which mainly chime in to place their downfalls on the client-community / attempt to influence others-make legitimacy of their bullshit. 

With how I see the current foundation of our community, I feel those features mentioned wouldn't be used in the correct fashions implemented and may create more work load for authenticity purposes. The chat-box upgrade (if exists) may just be overkill as Babble is a pretty powerful integrated chat-box with tons of features as is, including auto-moderation functions. VIP for content posts I don't feel would work under this business model. However, I have used some of the aforementioned above to success in Private Server communities, which are usually more community driven. I just have doubts that will be effective with our base. 

• I would suspect to see lots of fake admissions for Proggy contests 
    • I would suspect to see a lot more low quality post content (which could hurt pagerank, if anyone cares about that type of thing)
    • I would suspect the Youtube channel would become inactive shortly after.
    • I would suspect the giveaway option would be contributed to by few and possible won by non-contributors.
    • I am normally okay with the periodic reminder emails for inactive users, but would need to know the percentage of how many users are using temp email address still accessible to the world. Last thing I want to do is remind someone to login that is not the person they should be.

Shit this got big, sorry. On another note though, just keep posting content as you are now and you will drive a conversation as easy as you just have done. 

Good points,

1) Yes, I agree.

2) I think with the right moderation control this method can really guide this forums to high activity while actually in creasing PR. I'd suggest strict guidelines for a standard post (Minimum word limit, number of threads to open in 24hrs (Increases with rank), etc)

3) I actually believe if DreamBot revives its social programs, it'll bring more people in and most importantly keep users on. So possibly some pod casts, guide videos, proggy videos. Also requiring scripters to make videos explaining how to use their scripts, and much more!

4) It can be won by non contributors, but its a fun activity event that happens once a month where people gather to compete in whatever competition set for that particular month.

5) That shoudn't be a problem as people shouldn't use temp emails for creating DB accounts, so if it happens that a reminder was sent to a temp email its their problem not DB's.

I honestly believe that if the community sees more engagement and fun activities it would create a gravity effect that holds new members from flying away which is what I have seen over the time im here.. People come and go.

Every single element of the forums should be utilized however small.

I think other people pretty much covered most of what I was going to say.

This isn't really a "community" in general, there are quite a few regulars, but they're already in discord channels together.

New users aren't coming here for a community (most of the time) they just make the account so they can start botting. If they have problems with that, they come in, fix the problems, and in general don't really come back to the site unless they have to.

Proggy competition would just be a full no go, that's way too easy to cheat in, I'd guess 80% of the submissions would be faked with a "haha look at me I'm the best botter!" post with it.

That being said, a lot of the "community driven" suggestions first require a community. If we started a donation type of thing, you'd have maybe 2 or 3 people who are like "yeah I'd donate" and that'd be it, then next month when nothing exciting happened from it, maybe one of them would donate, then the next month it's dead.

Similar with the youtube channel.
    More mods is just not gonna happen, there's not a ton of people available that we'd trust to be moderators to begin with, then when we do get more mods, they end up going ham for about a week then realizing there's really not much to moderate and turn back into what they were before the mod position anyway. Just a helpful person with a colorful name.

On that topic, if you find posts that are not in the correct section, report them. We don't scour the forums for posts that don't belong, so it's pretty likely we wouldn't notice.

The post count as currency just won't happen, we'd get more spam in the first day than we've had to deal with in the last 3 months. Even if we were to say "if you break the rules, you'll be banned!" you'd see the same people who right now make 5 accounts to avoid VIP just make 5 accounts to farm post count. They're already breaking the rules.

Chatbox, Babble is as good as the site is going to be. The only other chat that really had all of the features we wanted for an actual good chatbox was Discord, which is not going to happen.

Sending out emails thing, that could probably be done. I do know we've sent out mass emails a few times for holidays, as I think we've done holiday discounts or something before. It did actually pull back a lot of people, and we'll likely do it again at some point. We missed out on the black Friday sale hah

Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestions, and it'd be great if we could build DreamBot into an active community, it's just not likely to be largely active anytime soon. Discord pulls too much attention from our forums (one of the reasons we wouldn't recreate the channel) already, and when communicating with people it's much easier to chat than it is to post. Posting restrictions on new accounts has also been shown previously to put off a lot of new people. They show up, realize they have to do more than just make an account to use the bot, and leave.

I mean really, Discord has kind of pulled attention away from a lot of forum boards, it's easier to keep open, it's easier to customize channels and ranks, easier to make bots to do a very large amount of things, and it's live response instead of posting back and forth. :shrug:

31 minutes ago, Nuclear Nezz said:

I think other people pretty much covered most of what I was going to say.

This isn't really a "community" in general, there are quite a few regulars, but they're already in discord channels together.

New users aren't coming here for a community (most of the time) they just make the account so they can start botting. If they have problems with that, they come in, fix the problems, and in general don't really come back to the site unless they have to.

Proggy competition would just be a full no go, that's way too easy to cheat in, I'd guess 80% of the submissions would be faked with a "haha look at me I'm the best botter!" post with it.

That being said, a lot of the "community driven" suggestions first require a community. If we started a donation type of thing, you'd have maybe 2 or 3 people who are like "yeah I'd donate" and that'd be it, then next month when nothing exciting happened from it, maybe one of them would donate, then the next month it's dead.

Similar with the youtube channel.
    More mods is just not gonna happen, there's not a ton of people available that we'd trust to be moderators to begin with, then when we do get more mods, they end up going ham for about a week then realizing there's really not much to moderate and turn back into what they were before the mod position anyway. Just a helpful person with a colorful name.

On that topic, if you find posts that are not in the correct section, report them. We don't scour the forums for posts that don't belong, so it's pretty likely we wouldn't notice.

The post count as currency just won't happen, we'd get more spam in the first day than we've had to deal with in the last 3 months. Even if we were to say "if you break the rules, you'll be banned!" you'd see the same people who right now make 5 accounts to avoid VIP just make 5 accounts to farm post count. They're already breaking the rules.

Chatbox, Babble is as good as the site is going to be. The only other chat that really had all of the features we wanted for an actual good chatbox was Discord, which is not going to happen.

Sending out emails thing, that could probably be done. I do know we've sent out mass emails a few times for holidays, as I think we've done holiday discounts or something before. It did actually pull back a lot of people, and we'll likely do it again at some point. We missed out on the black Friday sale hah

Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestions, and it'd be great if we could build DreamBot into an active community, it's just not likely to be largely active anytime soon. Discord pulls too much attention from our forums (one of the reasons we wouldn't recreate the channel) already, and when communicating with people it's much easier to chat than it is to post. Posting restrictions on new accounts has also been shown previously to put off a lot of new people. They show up, realize they have to do more than just make an account to use the bot, and leave.

I mean really, Discord has kind of pulled attention away from a lot of forum boards, it's easier to keep open, it's easier to customize channels and ranks, easier to make bots to do a very large amount of things, and it's live response instead of posting back and forth. :shrug:

True, people just come on here to create an account to start botting and thats the sad truth.

I believe events and contests relating to scripts and botting in general will get a large portion of these people to be active on this forums. As having an active community will pull in users to Dreambot therefore a better profit inputstream to the DreamBot administration and the sellers.

I actually believe the first step is to remove the chatbox for the time being as it display non activity to the newcomers and possibly attracts them away.

When I first used Dreambot I was attracted by the Client Interface, but I also looked at the forums activity and active users. I admit I wasn't gonna stay, luckily I engaged in convos with people like @yeeter01 and many others. Even with the small forum-user base I got to enjoy the stay.

Human beings are social animals, no matter the niche, being community driven is the best path to a successful forums.

And regarding unrelated threads in sections, an example would be the RuneScape Guides Section.. a lot of the threads are just people asking for client/site help which isn't in the right section https://dreambot.org/forums/index.php?/forum/32-guides/  and please notice that a lot of threads are recent to semi-recent

• 4 weeks later...

Archived