Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Dedicated Server - Run a Host or Create Several VMs?

Corncobbob92

So my question is:

Would there be any benefit to running all of your clients on a single server vs installing a virtualization software for a light linux distro on several virtual machines to run the client off of?

Thanks

I guess what I'm asking, since the game only uses 1 core per os instance, would a highly single core performing CPU split giving 1 core to each VM get you more bang for your buck?

I also would like to know if splitting a server into multiple VMs increases the amount of bots that can be launched. I personally never did that, always launched a bunch of bots on a single Windows. I should definitely try using VMs someday.

29 minutes ago, Akris said:

I also would like to know if splitting a server into multiple VMs increases the amount of bots that can be launched. I personally never did that, always launched a bunch of bots on a single Windows. I should definitely try using VMs someday.

Windows allows you to set core affinity - would this achieve the same thing?

57 minutes ago, beezdul said:

Windows allows you to set core affinity - would this achieve the same thing?

I already set affinity, it helps a lot, but I wonder if VMs will do even better.

59 minutes ago, Akris said:

I already set affinity, it helps a lot, but I wonder if VMs will do even better.

If you test it, let us know the results. The only problem I could see with VMs is that you'll have the OS overhead.

If you have access to the hardware or initial OS there is absolutely no reason to virtualize for such a small and unobtrusive process.

If the question is whether a VPS would be faster than a dedicated server we would need specs.

Specs are:

Intel Core i7 
    3930K or 4930K
    (6 x 3,20 GHz)

64 GB ram

Was thinking if I split it 1 core for host and 1 core per 5 vms (core lxde for low os overhead) and split the ram accordingly you might get more bang for your buck since the game only uses 1 core.

• 2 years later...

There's some brain-breaking mental gymnastics going on here...

Why would introducing the overhead of multiple Windows installations to run DreamBot instances as separate VMs create efficiency? You'll get the most bang for your buck by standing up one high-horsepower server/desktop and running multiple clients there.

Archived