Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Wrote my own cannon/alch script, got banned. Why?

yammobammo

Hey there. I'm a software engineer who recently picked up osrs after having played way back in the day as a kid. After getting my pure account to a mid/high level, i realized i simply do not want to waste hundreds of hours of my life doing the necessary training to be a top pker in my combat bracket. I also did not have the patience to AFK train, it takes way longer, and i didn't want to get hp levels on my pure from afking range. 

So, I decided to write my own cannon/alch script. Obviously i found this website, got my dreambot setup all working, and then spent the afternoon creating a decent little program that would train my range/magic by cannon/alching at hill giants. 

It's actually pretty slick, at a surface level at least. Worked great, it was able to cannon/alch for hours at a time, I had sub systems in place for detecting low health and eating/teleporting out, I tried to implement my own little (apparently useless) anti-ban system, where the program would click around and move the camera and do random little things to attempt to mimic human interaction, it would occasionally intentionally flutter the mouse a little bit after clicking something, to make it seem more real....

Alas, obviously if you've read the title of this post, you know what happened. After about 8 hours of solid botting, I turned it off to go to sleep, woke up the next morning, and was banned. Both my main accounts. (used the bot on both)

I'm not upset, i get it. You play with fire, you get burned. 

What I really want to know is, what did I do wrong? Do we know what metrics jagex uses track whether or not you are botting? And how did I fail them? I really enjoyed this as a little afternoon side project, and could see myself getting more involved in the bot dev scene... But I'm not sure where to go to dive deeper, at this point. I feel like I'm missing some fundamentals of bot programming/design, perhaps doing something obvious that is getting me banned, but I don't know what. Perhaps I'm making the wrong basic api calls, perhaps I'm moving in an easily bot-detectable way, perhaps the mouse translations are too straight and inhuman, I really don't know.  And the problem is that it's kind of hard to find out, because all of the advanced topics on scripting around here seem to be locked behind needing some special rank or something.

I want to get more invested into the community here, I want to gather and help spread knowledge, I want to help make programming tutorials and basic bot tutorials to give back a little bit, but I would love a helping hand to get started. I feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong in my scripting and It'd be great if anyone could point it out to me.

Anyways, this turned into a bit of a ramble. I uploaded my bot source code. if anyone can perhaps run it, or skim through it and see if there's anything obvious that I'm doing wrong, and give me some advice.. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!

AlchController.java AntiBan.java CannonController.java Main.java

Well I'm not going to lie, I didn't read the entire post BUT..

Just because you wrote your own script doesn't mean it won't get you banned. I would imagine the bit that got you banned was cannoning, not alching.

In my personal experience with my own scripts alching is very low ban rate.

12 minutes ago, yammobammo said:

I tried to implement my own little (apparently useless) anti-ban system, where the program would click around and move the camera and do random little things to attempt to mimic human interaction, it would occasionally intentionally flutter the mouse a little bit after clicking something, to make it seem more real.... 

^^ Also this can go entirely wrong, I would recommend NOT doing this. Could potentially make your ban rates worse - run the script for what it is and forget about adding anti-ban.

Have achieved maxed combat by doing so. No script is 100% perfect, so there will be very minor flaws that happen anyway.

1 minute ago, AsBakedAsCake said:

Well I'm not going to lie, I didn't read the entire post BUT..

Just because you wrote your own script doesn't mean it won't get you banned. I would imagine the bit that got you banned was cannoning, not alching.

In my personal experience with my own scripts alching is very low ban rate.

^^ Also this can go entirely wrong, I would recommend NOT doing this. Could potentially make your ban rates worse - run the script for what it is and forget about adding anti-ban.

Have achieved maxed combat by doing so. No script is 100% perfect, so there will be very minor flaws that happen anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I hadn't considered that maybe the antiban is what fucked me up, but it's completely possible. It's just frustrating to be playing osrs, see all the shitty bots out there running around, NOT banned, and be confused why I was banned myself! 

I do have another question though.. Since I've already been banned, I'm hesitant to try again, as I'd imagine jagex is tracking my accounts now, to some degree? Does anyone know if that is indeed true? Am i more likely to be "looked at" now and banned, do you think? Should I be playing through a VPN now or something? Or am I overthinking this.

1 minute ago, yammobammo said:

I hadn't considered that maybe the antiban is what fucked me up, but it's completely possible. It's just frustrating to be playing osrs, see all the shitty bots out there running around, NOT banned, and be confused why I was banned myself! 

I do have another question though.. Since I've already been banned, I'm hesitant to try again, as I'd imagine jagex is tracking my accounts now, to some degree? Does anyone know if that is indeed true? Am i more likely to be "looked at" now and banned, do you think? Should I be playing through a VPN now or something? Or am I overthinking this.

No problem mate 😛

Nah, I don't think they typically flag IP's or anything. I would only recommend proxies if you planned on running a decent sized gold farm (10+ bots).

I've had thousands of bans on my home IP without a difference in ban rate. Just don't bot tutorial, don't dice, stay away from fishing/woodcutting/agility and you'll be good.

I'd be inclined to agree with baked, sometimes overengineering is a bad idea as it presents more trackable patterns! Also 8 hours straight is a pretty big session, especially for a click intensive task! 

• 3 weeks later...
    On 5/15/2019 at 12:18 AM, yammobammo said:

Those accounts will be under more scrutiny and i wouldnt recommend botting them any longer. you 100% can and may get away with it but its a big risk if you care about them as 100% your next offense will be a perm. Pertaining to you comments about the tons of bots you see around the game, a lot of them are banned and just restocked or use some really crafty methods to ensure that they can exist for a LONG time (such as automatic account rotation).

Archived