Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Laptop suggestions

sr24

Title says it all.  I am looking for a laptop to purchase and interested in suggestions.  I will be using the laptop for school.  My area of study is computer science, specifically software engineering.  I do not want to 'break the bank'.  I was looking at a 2015 macbook pro 13 2.9ghz or maybe the new dell xps 13 9380.   I need a good amount of battery life and processing power.  Trying to keep it under $1800.  Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Please don't go for a Mac, especially if you're venturing down the software engineering road (may get some backlash for that), I find almost all Apple products to be extremely overpriced for what they offer! 

I've used HP for years and always been pleased with the products they offer, though recently I've acquired an MSI laptop which seems to run smoothly and was pretty good value for money! (£950) which off the top of my head is pretty probably around $1300.

9 minutes ago, Pseudo said:

Please don't go for a Mac, especially if you're venturing down the software engineering road (may get some backlash for that), I find almost all Apple products to be extremely overpriced for what they offer! 

I've used HP for years and always been pleased with the products they offer, though recently I've acquired an MSI laptop which seems to run smoothly and was pretty good value for money! (£950) which off the top of my head is pretty probably around $1300.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on mac's is due to their price vs their internals.  I have a hard time justifying $1400-2200 for a 13' mac using a duo core. Originally I was looking at just getting a refurbished but still can't justify that.   If you could, can you please provide the model of your MSI?   

I'm starting to look more towards the Dell and Huawei Matebook x pro i7.  Definitely welcoming any input or advice. 

1 hour ago, sr24 said:

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on mac's is due to their price vs their internals.  I have a hard time justifying $1400-2200 for a 13' mac using a duo core. Originally I was looking at just getting a refurbished but still can't justify that.   If you could, can you please provide the model of your MSI?   

I'm starting to look more towards the Dell and Huawei Matebook x pro i7.  Definitely welcoming any input or advice. 

Yeah pretty absurd huh!

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-gp62mvr-7rfx-core-i7-7700hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-15.6-inch-geforce-gtx-1-9s7-16jb92-880/version.asp

Think that's the same model.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Q524UQ/specifications/

I think this is the laptop I have, if you're looking for something that does well for not much price. I haven't had any issues with not having enough power for any development I've done so far. It's also light and small, so it's easy to carry around campus and whatnot. (or travel, which was the main reason I got it)

5 minutes ago, sr24 said:

Let me know about the experience! I've been contemplating to buy a macbook myself :) 

16 minutes ago, Articron said:

Let me know about the experience! I've been contemplating to buy a macbook myself :) 

Will do!  This will be my first ever mac and come from a very heavy windows background (from windows xp+).   Hopefully everything goes well but will keep you updated. 

4 hours ago, Articron said:

If you buy a macbook i think i may have just lost all respect for you, apple is ass cheeks :kappa:

Well here's my update with Amazon..  My MacBook Pro that I paid for expedited shipping on, still hasn't arrived.

Me: Hi, when I placed my order, the original shipping day said available thursday. When I went to the check out, it showed friday. I paid for one day shipping, arrival thursday. The package just now shipped and says available tomorrow. I took off from work today to make sure I was here to sign for my package.
    You are now connected to Zerr from Amazon.com
    Zerr: Hello, my name is Zerr. I'm here to help you today.
    Me: Hello Zerr
    Zerr: It's my pleasure to assist a prime member like you.
    I'm glad you contacted us.
    I do understand that you expecting your order on Thursday.Don't worry, I will help you with this.
    Me: Thursday as in today, correct.
    Zerr: Please allow me a moment to check this for you.
    Me: okay
    Zerr: I can see here that your order will arrive tomorrow. Your order has entered the shipping process and is currently being packed for delivery.
    Me: This is unacceptable.
    Zerr: I'll be more than happy to set a personal follow up on this to make sure that your order will arrive.
    To help compensate for this we will refund the shipping cost once the order delivered.
    Me: While I appreciate that, it does not speed along my process any quicker nor does it help me for the time i lost due to a paid expected date.
    Zerr: I certainly understand your frustration.
    To help compensate for this error, let me issue a $5 credit as form of gift card. Though I know this will not cover the whole trouble, please allow me to do so as good gesture.
    Me: I would like a credit to my account and not my shipping amount. I paid for next day shipping TWO days in advance and the obligation was still not met. That is unacceptable. Amazon warehouse is locally here. I like shopping at amazon and chose them instead of a local store.
    Is there a supervisor I may speak with please. This was a high value purchase and when I paid for, not only prime but expedited shipping. I took off from work to ensure a signature was available. I fulfilled my obligations as well as cost. $5 off and my shipping cost is extremely infuriating. I had a $60 order that was late. was given $25 credit
    Zerr: Please allow me a moment .
    Me: now i have a nearly $3000 order shipped that I paid for expedited shipping on and you want to give me $14? $9 or so is the amount i already paid?
    Zerr: I certainly understand your frustration.
    One moment.
    Me: Okay.
    Zerr: Thank you for waiting.
    How about $50 once the order delivered, would that work?
    Me: The last time amazon was late, the $25 off was 41% of my total. I do not expect amazon to give me 41% off this order. But I lost time from work, lost productivity and still don't have my product.
    Will you give me $75 off and a gaurentee that the product will arrive tomorrow.
    I can not keep missing work due to the shipping of this
    Zerr: To be honest I can only issue a $50 credit as my limit. However, as an exception let me issue a $136.93.
    I hope this will work.
    Me: thank you
    can you gaurentee that it will arrive tomorrow?
    Zerr: Yes, I can Guarantee that your order will arrive tomorrow.
    Me: Thank you
    Zerr: I'll be more than happy to set a personal follow up on this to make sure that your order will arrive.
    Me: Please
    Zerr: Thank you for your time and patience Riley , I really appreciate it. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with today?
    Me: Will this amount be a store credit on my account
    or taken off the purchasing price
    Zerr: It wil be refunded back to the opriginal payment method.
    Me: Okay thank you
    You have been a big help Zerr, and while I am still extremely frustrated, I am no longer furious.

Archived