Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • 2x Eiffel Tower Farm Reports

vlustig

@algirdas I don't have any specific numbers in mind, I'm just testing different setups right now. Ideally I would like as few as possible, to make managing them easier.

@Ineverbotlol Thanks for the tip, I plan to use a similar approach.

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, vlustig said:

@Ineverbotlol Thanks for the tip, I plan to use a similar approach.

What i did was, setup one vps to its basic (downloaded everything, etc) and make an image of it.
    just saying.

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Update 12/14/18

TL;DR: I did a cost-benefit analysis and decided that the opportunity cost of working on the bot farm was too high compared to working on finding a better-paying work-from-home job. I found the type of job I was looking for and it is going well. And for passive income I now create quantitative analysis apps for day traders. I don't mean to discourage anyone from creating a bot farm. I think that if you have experience writing Java, a passion for OSRS, and/or a passion for botting, that you can find a lot of success.

Long Version: I continued to work on the farm for a little while, but it's now on pause indefinitely.  My original motivation was to create an automated farm that generated a mostly passive income stream for me. I had specific profit numbers in mind that I wanted to reach in order to make the effort of building and maintaining the farm worth it. In order to reach those numbers, I needed to create a scalable, maintainable, and mostly automated farm.

In the process of building the farm, I realized that I would need to be able to create my own custom scripts, or modify and extend existing scripts, in order for the project to generate my target income sustainably. DreamBot scripts are written in Java. I already know JavaScript and Python, so I thought it would be easy to learn Java and create my own scripts. I started learning Java and working with the DreamBot API. I created a few basic scripts, but it took a lot more time and energy than I thought it would.  I realized that it would take several months of consistent work to create what I wanted to, and that even if I pulled it off, there's a significant probability that my farm would not sustainably generate my target income.

I also realized that if I instead spent several months building my Python and JavaScript portfolio, that there was a good chance that I could get a well-paying work-from-home job that met my income goals. I found a work-from-home job, and while it's not passive income, I cut my weekly commute by almost 10 hours, and significantly increased my hourly wage.

I also now have more time to work on creating passive income streams now. I thought about returning to creating a bot farm, but I realized that in the end, I am not that passionate about botting, and creating a bot farm doesn't really benefit anyone except for myself. I would rather create something that I am passionate about, and which can benefit others. So now for passive income, I am creating financial analysis Python apps to sell to day traders. I haven't generated any passive income yet, but I am working on something that I am more passionate about, that can also benefit others. Quantitative analysis is also becoming a more sought-after skillset in the financial world, so even if I'm not successful in creating passive income, I am still developing a valuable skillset.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from botting. It can be a lot of fun creating bots and it is definitely a good fit for some. Good luck!

Archived