Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Time, did man create it?

Fran

I was asked this question a few days ago and answered to the best of my ability. 

I now propose this question to you ladies and gentlemen, to see if you have any arguments or different answers. The question was: Did man create time? My answer was and still is no, time was a constant of the universe before mankind came. If we are going upon the assumption that science is correct and we evolved into what we are now, then time had to be a constant of the universe before we appeared.

My reasoning for this is that it takes time for things to evolve so that time existed before they did. In this understanding time had to have been existent in the beginning before the universe and will be after even though there is nothing to count it. Man only discovered and created a means to counting time so that in this instance time is only a discovery of mankind. Yes we perceive time in our own way and in that understanding our understanding of time was created by us but not time itself. Many scientists believe that time exists in the fourth dimension, so that time is beyond us and existent in and of its self is understandably reasonable. I would love to hear your arguments against this or for this statement.

Of course time is the perception of the night into day faze. Our viewing is only saying its night and day by manmade language. Before it it just happened

I would largely agree with your statement "Man only discovered and created a means to counting time so that in this instance time is only a discovery of mankind""  but unlike you, that is where I would stop and say, yes, man invented time, because an important aspect of time is that it is relative. A day is from sun up to sundown because man named it so. True, sun up to sun down would happen regardless of whether or not man called it a day, but it is a period of time because we have named it as such. 

As for your point "it takes time for things to evolve so that time existed before they did." I understand what your saying but I'm not sure if I agree with the you calling it "time" as time used in that sense is a period of time (the period of time in which things evolve) and that is still a period of time that was defined by man. 

I'm not sure if any of this makes any sense as I have had 5 hours of sleep in the last 50 or so and I feel I poorly conveyed my thoughts onto this but regardless I'd love to see someone tear my argument apart piece by piece with counter arguments. :D

~I Got This

Edit: I like how lancer said it, "before it just happened." And would like to add time is just our definition for what just "happened"

The idea of what we have as "time" is created by us.

what we say is a second is merely what we determined a second was defined as. In that sense, yes, time was created by man.

HOWEVER

Space time was not, and can never be determined by man.

"an hour" is man made. We could decided a second is actually two seconds, and nothing would change except our perception of how slowly time is passing.

We gave a variable name to a piece of information that we gathered based on our rotation.

If our rotation was different, our idea of time would be different.

If you were put in a room with a clock going half the speed as a normal clock, but weren't told such

fed at the usual times, breakfast, lunch, dinner.
    False light goes dim at the time you'd expect, say around 7.

After a year of that, would you know the difference compared to a real time? Probably not.

So my conclusion is that the idea of time was created by man, the underlying definitions of time (space time, the time it takes an atom to traverse whatever ring they have, etc) was not.

The idea of what we have as "time" is created by us.

what we say is a second is merely what we determined a second was defined as. In that sense, yes, time was created by man.

HOWEVER

Space time was not, and can never be determined by man.

"an hour" is man made. We could decided a second is actually two seconds, and nothing would change except our perception of how slowly time is passing.

We gave a variable name to a piece of information that we gathered based on our rotation.

If our rotation was different, our idea of time would be different.

If you were put in a room with a clock going half the speed as a normal clock, but weren't told such

fed at the usual times, breakfast, lunch, dinner.

False light goes dim at the time you'd expect, say around 7.

After a year of that, would you know the difference compared to a real time? Probably not.

So my conclusion is that the idea of time was created by man, the underlying definitions of time (space time, the time it takes an atom to traverse whatever ring they have, etc) was not.

I see your point Nezz,

but yes you would know the difference, because we have evolved to work with a 24 hour clock. Our bodies physically would not support a 48 hour clock in the same way. In fact studies have shown that in an environment without a clock, humans on average develop a 26 hour daily cycle, and sleep in two increments with an hour or so of "meditative quiet" in between. This is why a lot of shift based work actually has a schedule that shifts back by two hours every day.

Archived