Frequently Asked Questions
  • Are you not able to open the client? Try following our getting started guide
  • Still not working? Try downloading and running JarFix
  • Help! My bot doesn't do anything! Enable fresh start in client settings and restart the client
  • How to purchase with PayPal/OSRS/Crypto gold? You can purchase vouchers from other users
  • Is Life A Computer Simulation?

Notorious

To get this section started off right, I thought I would discuss one topic that has intrigued me since the day I came across the idea in Philosophy class.

When I first heard of this theory, I heavily doubted it, though after having some some time to really think about it, and then by taking it one step further and doing some research regarding this topic I now believe this to be a real possibility (still have plenty of doubts). Though if this was true, this would theoretically make all morality arbitrary, which is against almost every organized religion, and many cultures.

For the people who haven't heard of this argument, the idea is:

"the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. (Quoted From: http://www.simulation-argument.com/)

Some other resources on the topic:

Sam Harris - The Simulation Argument :

S. James Gates - Computer Code Found In String Theory.

What are your views on this subject? Do you believe this to be a possibility? If you do believe this to be a possibility, do you believe morality would become arbitrary?

I would love to see your views on the subject, posting useful resources and information is encouraged!

I believe I'm currently at your previous position where you heavily doubted this. The first video has some really good points, stating that consciousness is simply the product of information processing. Found it a bit insulting at the end though, how he sort of disses Christianity. 

I haven't taken any Philosophy classes on this topic but when I do, I'll make sure to expound my ideas at that point. 2 short videos simply isn't enough to convince someone that his lifetime of beliefs is false :P

The philosophical ideal that "Objects do not exist until you see them" (simplified version) also supports this in a way, it's how most computer programs save on RAM.

Wouldn't that be the same as saying "If a tree falls in a forest and nobody hears it, did it make a sound?" ? :o

This is very interesting honestly.

But if and when we die in life, what happens to the real 'us.'

Sometimes looking into the mirror one might think, "is this really me?"

Which I have.

Also,

If it was, don't you think there would be a rule in the game where you couldn't think of that?
    Or, is it simply limitless?  

I believe I'm currently at your previous position where you heavily doubted this. The first video has some really good points, stating that consciousness is simply the product of information processing. Found it a bit insulting at the end though, how he sort of disses Christianity. 

I haven't taken any Philosophy classes on this topic but when I do, I'll make sure to expound my ideas at that point. 2 short videos simply isn't enough to convince someone that his lifetime of beliefs is false :P

Yea I completely understand your view, and yes Sam Harris is a notorious Atheist, who argues that Morality is not defined by Divine Power (I.E. 10 Commandments).

Meaning he believes, even if life was a computer simulation morality would not be arbitrary. As his belief is that humans create morality, because no matter what religion your from, you can rationalize morality using simple logic.

Which I personally agree with. Because no matter if life is a simulation or whatever, I feel my morality would not be swayed, as I know the difference between right and wrong, and is not dependent of what someone says I ought to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived